Do you think eating chalk or baby powder is an addiction? Seriously.

I ask only because I know a friend who is pregnant and has PICA and craves baby powder. It's wierd, but I did research and found out people are actually addicted to this and have done it for years!

joli13

Asked by joli13 at 4:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Health

• It is never a good idea to eat things that aren't meant for consumption!! She needs to figure out what she is lacking in her diet to cause PICA cravings and stay away from chalk and powder. Yes, I know...lots of people do this when they have the cravings and say 'my baby was just fine' but seriously...chalk isn't meant to be eaten! Eating these really aren't good for her or baby as there is no nutrition, but at least it isn't physically harmful like the cravings for coal and chemicals, etc. PICA cravings are linked to lack of nutrients, like iron and zinc for instance, and also to mental disorders like hysteria, but can also be related to a general poor diet or even if she is trying to diet while PG to keep her weight down, this can also trigger PICA. She needs to get to the root of the problem. ALL PGcy food cravings are linked to something lacking!
    blondeUSmomma

Answer by blondeUSmomma at 4:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes it is
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 6:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I had that when I was pregnant with my last but thankfully I only craved ice.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 6:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's a disorder, so no...I wouldn't consider it an "addiction"...the two have entirely different meanings.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It is a disorder. I was actually just working with a little girl (15) who was pregnant and in foster care who only ate white flour all day. She seriously would have a piece of fruit here and there and other than that it was just flour. I was so worried about her and her baby. Somehow he turned out beautifully healthy.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• There may be some problems with the diet and some chemicals that are needed which make them crave things like that. For women, if pregnant, a craving for wheat germ or wheat nuts is good as they have folic acid which is good for pregnancy and can assist women who have had miscarriages in the past. I remember hearing something about chalk but cna't remember now what the deprivation is. So check with doctor and ask if there is some vitamin or mineral that may be lacking.

There were warnings here about certain bath salts that cause major medical and mental problems and it comes from China and is a cocaine substitute. That is very bad for preople and it is now against the law in Florida.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes and not healthy.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011