My little guy is at that age where he's interested in learning words....so i'm debating: Your Baby Can Read, Monkey See Monkey Do, Leap Frog...What have you used, if any?

joli13

Asked by joli13 at 4:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• My baby can read is great. my little girl saw it from an old friend and she picked up words fast.Leap frog is also a great one to use with kids cus they have different levels of world and it comes with games such as colors and numbers...

I hope this helps
    babyfade671

Answer by babyfade671 at 4:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Your baby can read is a memorization program and not worth the money. The best thing you can do to foster reading skills is to read to your child often. Go together and buy some cute, fun, books.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We use flash cards but also have leapster2's. I love the leapsters because with the games they help the child think. It's not just reading either. The my baby can read seems to cost way too much when you can take simple steps yourself to help your child learn. I also print off worksheets from online that the kids like.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Just a note about your baby can read...it doesn't teach them how to read...it teaches them how to memorize...I'm a reading specialist and have researched this program...it is a scam and when these children go to school they are going to be all messed up b/c they were not taught to read correctly...they will grow up thinking they just have to memorize everything (which will eventually become too hard). They will have no problem solving skills when it comes to decoding words. Please do your own research on it before you make your decision though.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We read to our daughter, and she was reading at age four.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have always read to my kids and we used flashed cards and Leap Frog. I agree that I would stay away from the You Baby Can Read program, I personally don't like it, although I have never used it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree with reading to them. Not sure how old your son is, but my little one has the Leapfrog Tag Jr that he loves to play with and it can "read" to him when I'm doing chores. My older ones had the Leapfrog Tag, which is the same idea only a little more advanced (will help them with single words, or letter sounds, or just read the story to them).
    My oldest has autism and when he was little we used PECS, so everything in our house was labeled with a picture and the word. He memorized a lot of words from just seeing them (chair, table, lamp, bed, etc.). I generally recommend phonics over whole language methods of reading, but it worked for him.

Answer by missanc at 8:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i agree...i've heard bad reviews about Baby Can Read. thanks for the suggestions.
    joli13

Comment by joli13 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'm way late to answering this, but i will anyway. We use Your Baby Can Read. My DD loves it! So do my daycare kids. I am curious-the ones that say it is crap, a scam, just teaches memorization, etc. How many of them have actually seen what goes into the program first-hand. Not by reading other opinions, and going to the website?

Fist off-it is NOT just DVDs. The program comes with dvds, books, sliding word cards and flash cards. The program is very involved. if you buy it, and stick your kid in front of the tv for a few weeks, then expect miracles, it is not going to work. IF, you buy it, watch the movies with your child, read the books, play the word games, etc.., then you will see results.
    The dvd starts off by teaching them to memorize the shape of the word-then, as they learn more words, you have PHONICS word games at the end of the dvd.
    If you actually do the WHOLE program, it works, and the kids love it!
    babygrl92795

Answer by babygrl92795 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2011