should people be fined or arrested for calling 911 for non emergencies?

i think there should be a hefty fine. what idiots.slapping forehead

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• For me I think they should get arrested .
    babyfade671

Answer by babyfade671 at 5:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would hope not, I am a child care provider. I have heard many, many stories of, the baby was playing with the phone and the next thing I knew the police were at the door.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 7:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think that it's a waste of time to call 911 for non-emergencies. I saw a story where a lady called the police because McDonald's ran out of chicken nuggets and she wanted some. Now I've never heard of something so stupid. What exactly did she expect them to do, arrest the manager or something? I think that people should get a huge fine then maybe they will stop calling for silly reasons.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 5:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• not arrested, but I could see getting a citation for it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Oh they get arrested lol
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/06/man-calls-911-emtwiceem-a_n_117343.html
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 6:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes the should either get arrested or fined.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think it should be based on the individual situation.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• What constitutes an emergency in the minds of some would not be an emergency for others. So who is to decide the cases? For example, I have elderly neighbors and the husband falls a lot. His wife can't get him out of the floor by herself, and even though the neighbors have told her they will help, she calls 911. They have never failed to come and assist her. Should she be cited and/or fined?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

If it's a baby or child, obviously no they shouldn't get fined or arrested because they don't know any better. An adult, however, most definitely should have to pay a fine or serve time. They are using valuable resources that could potentially be detrimental to someone else's actual emergency.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't think they should get arrested. Just because if people associate getting arrested by calling 911 for non emergencies, they are going to rethink of what an emergency really is......although most adults should have common sense about that. you will have a lot of angry people that find out they went to jail, and not the child care provider of the baby/child calling 911. In al honesty, that phone should be kept up. I think there should be a thing as community service hours for calling 911 in non-emergency situations. For some people, money grows on trees.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2011