is it true that you can only have so many c-sections?

i'd never heard this before, but someone brought it up a few days ago. i am only able to deliver via c-section as my uterus has a deep divide in it, making my daughter and any future babies unable to turn and go head-down. is it true that they prefer you to limit yourself to 2 or 3 c-sections when possible?

shilohsmama425

Asked by shilohsmama425 at 7:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• ever been to a Christian hospital. they won't tie your tubes during a c section because it's against religious beliefs. there was one doctor who said he'd performed 9 c sections on one woman who initially wanted her tubes tied after 3. i think thats really stupid that a hospital won't tie your tubes cause it's against their religion...however they'll give you as many c sections as you want
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I've never heard that but I'm sure it would be up to your Dr. My first was a c-section and he told me that I would have to have a c-section for any other kids I had. I moved and ended up with a new Dr. when I was about 5 months with my 2nd and he talked me into having a vbac(vaginal birth after cesarean). So in total I had 1 c-section with my first and my other 3 were all vbac's. I'm sure they consider your overall health and any issues you may have to determine the safest delivery choices.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think it depends on the doctor, they can not prevent you from getting pregnant. However, they will advise you of the risks of a high number of c sections. I have a friend who has had 5 and the doctor told her this last time that the scar tissue is really beginning to build and he would be concerned about her uterus ruptering with another pregnancy.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 7:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i heard 2-3
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My doctor always asked his patients to stop after three but, of course, not everyone heeded his advice.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's not advised to do more than three because of the amount of scar tissue. Scar tissue doesn't expand like healthy tissue which puts you more at risk of uterine rupture each consecutive pregnancy. However as others have said it doesn't stop most women.

I would have stopped using that christian hospital. NINE c-sections?? You would think she would have gone elsewhere for number four and had her tubes tied then. This is why I check religious backgrounds on my doctors. If I want my tubes tied off then you will do it. And I did. :)
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You do risk problems the more you have. I have a friend that only has c sections and they have told her no more than 4.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Most breech babies are delivered vaginally~ something you can think about.

Some doctors will only suggest so many cesareans, but if you get pregnant again it's either that or VBAC, right?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• pp, that's what i told him, i wanted to deliver vaginally but i'm very little, 5 foot, 100 lbs, narrow hips, and he told me the likeliest scenario would be that she would get halfway out, get stuck, be PUSHED back in and then emergency c-section... gross! also she was breech, butt-first, not feet-first :(
    shilohsmama425

Comment by shilohsmama425 (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2011