What should I say to people who preach and talk about God and religion when I don't want to hear religious messages?

I have no problem if a person is religious and wants to talk about God and church, but I really don't want to keep hearing it. I don't have people preaching to me on a regular basis, but sometimes someone might bring up religion and stuff related to it and I am just not into all of it, so what is a polite way to get people to stop talking to me about church and religious things?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 7:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• "I'm sorry, but it makes me feel very hypocritical to have this conversation when it's not what I believe. Can we talk about something else?"
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Just politely change the subject....if they are doing it just as sharing a natural part of their life, that will work.....if they are doing it to try to convert you then just ask them to stop....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would just be honest with them. I don't see anything wrong with honesty - honesty can be polite :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• smile and wave and walk away ;)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This has worked for me right now I'm interested but when I am I'll let you know.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If its something like emails, text messages, etc, you can just ignore them, or ask to not be sent them. If its an individual you can politely express that you just don't have the interest and passion for religion/discussing religion that the person seems to have and that you think they may want to find someone else to talk to about it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• How do you deal with people who want to constantly talk about other subjects that you don't want to hear,or are just plain tired of hearing it? You can handle the religious people the same way.Personally,I just tell them as nicely as I can that I'm not interested.Or I'll find a way to change the subject,and if they don't get the hint,then I'll find ways to avoid them,depending on how strongly I feel about it.I also have the ability to tune people out.They can be chatting away and I'm literally off in another world,not hearing a thing they are saying!
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 8:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My mom used to preach to me a lot and I told her that I wasn't interested and she stopped. I have an aunt who sends me positive text messages and I appreciate them, but some of them talks about God and the Bible and I'm just not comfortable when it comes to religion. I don't want to sound mean as if I don't like her sending me messages, but I'm just not interested in the religious stuff.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 7:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i usually like it because i often have questions that they don't have an answer for..but if it really bothers you i would just try to change the subject and if the are still doing their converting i would tell them to find another victim
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011