Kentucky's new law?

so on facebook, there is some status that's spreading like herpes and yet i can't find anything about it on google. it says KY passed a law that anyone applying for medicaid, foodstamps or cash assistance for themselves or their children must pass a drug test. im not even going to repeat the rest of the ignorant status, it just infuriates me how many agree with this considering we're in a recession and so many of us are hurting financially. anyway i wanted to find the stipulations and read further into the ignorant new "law" and i cant find anything. anyone else hear about this?

sidenote: im fully aware of those who abuse the system, yes i think its awful. but really, i think no matter what laws are in place, those specific people are still going to find a way to abuse. but what about the innocent children, who didn't pick their parents and are likely going to be denied the benefits they need because their parents are drug addicts? and for the ones who are truly desperate for help, this is another hoop to jump through. in my state, it's very difficult to get assistance as it is. i dont think its fair to label less fortunate people as drug abusers.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Forgot to put my .02 in :) - the idea of drug testing isn't necessarily a bad idea, as long as a failure wouldn't immediately stop benefits but get someone into a treatment program. (Maybe after 3 "dirty" tests benefits are affected?) I know that someone has to want help to get help, but I can't help but think that something like this could help at least some people who desperately need it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• There are several links about it posted yesterday (on several pages):

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/715136/Did_you_know_Way_to_go_Kentucky

I think it's a huge waste of money - far more money than is already wasted on whatever small percentage won't pass a test.  (You're welcome, to whoever it is that keeps voting me down every time I point out that obvious fact. btw, here's another one for you).

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Here is the link to snopes http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/kentucky.asp

It says basically a bill has been introduced but not passed YET.

Answer by gemgem at 7:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You can look it up on snopes. Most people have to take drug tests to get jobs, why should be any different for those who get welfare?
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I haven't heard of it either - I found this on snopes.com

it's actually a proposed bill that has been introduced to the house of the state legislature. It hasn't been voted on yet.

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• As for food stamps not buying drugs......My MIL works for the a local welfare office and people are all the time trading food stamps for drugs and alcohol. If a family get assitance but the parents use it for something other then what they should.....how does that affaect the children?

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Considering you cant buy drugs with food stamps, I think this is BS. But no i havent heard of it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Food stamps absolutey can be used to purchase drugs.They trade food stamps for cash.Scuba I believe the bill does have something in it on offering those help who do get a positive test before cutting them off of the food stamps.So there was some thought put into the bill.I am on the fence about it I think it is fine to implement drug testing before getting pa but I too wonder about the cost.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree it is wasting more tax dollars on these tests. Here is the thing though, in some states being a drug addict is considered a disability. If you are disabled you get food stamps. So what happens in those cases? BTW CA is one of those states.

Second yes, people do trade food stamps all the time. Not just for drugs but for cash too. My dd gets them and her sil got them by lying somehow about her hours at work. Her sil is a prescription drug abuser. She called my dd and asked her if she wanted to buy her FS for 50 cent on the dollar so she could get Adderol. My dd was all well no, I have my own. She called and told me since she didnt know people really did that. We all read about it, but never actually see it I think.

Answer by gemgem at 8:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This is why reading is so important. So false information isn't passed around.

I think the bill is ridiculous anyway.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011