Does Sugar Affect Your Kids Adversely?

Just curious - I've heard from a lot of moms that sugar winds their kids up, makes them unruly, etc. Honestly, I've never had that experience with my kids. A few weeks ago, my friend and her girls came over, and all the kids got one of those "character cookies" (2 chocolate chip cookies with icing in the center and a character made out of icing on the top). Her kids didn't act any differently either. We got to talking about it, and she said that her experience has been like mine, and another friend of hers with 4 kids says the same thing - sugar just doesn't affect her kids negatively.

My kids are 14, 13, 13, 11, and 3. My friends girls are 5 and 10. Her friends kids are from 5 - 11.

Just curious if/how sugar affects your kids? (I'm not saying that a ton of sugar is good or healthy on a regular basis, just wondering about its effects.)

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 7:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• it doesn't affect my kids because i feed them sugary stuff in moderation.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sugar doesn't, but red dye does and corn syrup seems to with one of my kids.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't think sugar makes kids hyper at all. I agree with the first poster about artificial dyes and corn syrup. Artificial dyes can trigger ADHD symptoms, this is what I read about on the internet or in a magazine so it's best to stay away from foods containing those things. As far as the kool-aid that is a no go in my house, fake colors and too much sugar, plus artificial colors I've heard and read about are made using coal-tar.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 7:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think its just different with every kid. Sugar can effect one kid and not the other. My almost 4 year old son can get pretty wound up on sugar. If he has a cup of kool aid, hes running all over the place, screaming and just acts crazy!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 7:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son loves sugar, and could pretty easily try to get only sugary things for every meal. For the most part, it doesn't make him more hyper. The main exception is lolly pops.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 9:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• TNM - that's interesting, I hadn't thought about that. I'm a "moderation mom" myself.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2011