What's your rags to riches story and how did you overcome adversity? Looking for inspiration.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 7:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• I realized very, very early on that I wouldn't be able to trust anyone to do what was right for me. I realized I had to take care of myself, and I figured out how to do that as I went along. One thing I knew was that I was going to get out of where I was and away from those people I couldn't trust. I worked hard in school and sports so that I could go to college...far away. I had regular babysitting jobs from the time I was 10, saving money. Once I graduated high school (with a college acceptance and partial scholarship) I went to work for 3 months in a garbage bag factory to save better money to get me to my school and to pay the remainder of my tuition and books for the first semester. I worked crap jobs at gas stations and in work study so that I could make the ends meet. Then I met someone amazing and recognized that and held on tight. I just worked hard always, and I also recognized the fun and the good there was.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i think "rags to riches" depends on how you look at it... my daughter and i have everything we need and some of the things we want, and each other, and to me that's very rich... i have money put away (3 grand) and that makes me feel amazing, the same way other people feel when they have enough to retire, because to me that's a lot of money!
    as far as overcoming adversity... every mother does that every day, don't we? we are judged for having lost the weight/not lost the weight. people notice the quality of our home and car and child's clothing. our childrens' features are noted and compared to other childrens'. we work jobs we hate sometimes. we let a bill slide to make christmas happen. we go without sleep when our kids are sick. every mama does the impossible. i think we're very inspiring just the way we are!
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I grew up with a mom that is a good person all in all, but wasn't a good mom, she was emotionally messed up for yrs and yrs. I was emotionally abused then abandoned by my dad, physically abused for yrs by my 1st stepdad, and sexually abused by my grandfather, also for yrs (from when I was 6 until I was in middle school and turned him in, when he killed himself rather than face criminal action). That's just some of the "highlights" of my childhood.

I've also had some serious medical stuff go on in my life that we thought was going to kill me.

But, you know what - with the help of prayer, time, counseling, and stubbornness, I have gotten through it. I'm happily married (have been for 18 yrs), I have 2 great kids, I served in the Navy (now I'm a Navy wife and SAHM), I do a lot of volunteer work, and I'm happy and at peace in my life.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• cont

We aren't rich by any means, but we aren't destitute, either - financially speaking. Quality of life - we're very rich. Yes, there were a lot of things in my life that have sucked, but they are part of what made me who and what I am today, and they make me appreciate the good things all that much more.

There are several quotes that helped me, 2 of them are "If I laugh at any mortal thing, tis that I may not weep." (Lord Byron) and Jimmy Buffet (He Went to Paris) "Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

I don't know if this is what you were wanting to know about, or how inspiring it is, but that's where I've come from and what I've overcome.

Whatever you're facing, just remember - This, too, shall pass! Hang in there, keep going, and things will get better!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I had a fucked up childhood. I saw drugs, abuse, neglect and things you shouldn't know about...ever. My mom was an alcoholic, my half brother and half sister were both drug addicts. When one got out of jail, the other went in. My mom has been married 5 times, and the only decent guy she ever met was my father, who she of course left. Being raised around all that I had about a 1% chance of turning out normal. Instead of deciding the world owed me something because "oh poor me" and loathing and self pity I decided to use all the messed up things that happened to me to make me stronger. I picked myself up and moved on. My Mom finally allowed me to move with my father at the age of 10, so I got to get away from a lot of it but you can bet I wanted to be angry. Cont.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 1:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I decided you can either hold on to the things that torture and let it ruin your life or you or let go and move on and be better than the people who are ruining thiers. I finished highschool (which from my family was a big deal) in the top of my class, got a job (big deal, a job in my family was an unknown) and went to college. I didn't get pregnant as a teenager, become a drug addict or any of the examples that were set for me as a child. Now I'm a professional in a promising career, married to an amazing man who's a VP with an even more amazing daughter. Yeah we are well off and have money that our careers provide but that is not what I am shocked by most days. I'm shocked by the fact that I was able to allow myself to move on and have a normal life even though the rest of my family wanted to drag me down. They wanted me to be like them because it meant what they were doing was OK. I knew I deserved better than that.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 1:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• That's awesome for both of you.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Mommyslate, you're so right. I have been weak my whole life and that changes for me this year. I had an effed up childhood as well, and I missed out on a good education, learning how to drive, and so many opportunities, but I wasn't strong enough to let it go. I did get my GED when I was 19, but because I missed so much school in my younger years, it doesn't make up for the gaps in my education. I only finished the 6th grade. I wanted to go to school and I'd ask my mom to sign me up, but she didn't care. I missed a lot of school between the ages of 11-16 and I didn't go at all when I was 14 and15 so I missed out on a good education. I allowed my bad childhood to consume me, but I've had enough of the pity party. Today I say enough and I mean it. I'm tired of having low self-esteem and feeling sorry for myself. Thank you for your post, it is an inspiration to me.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011