How long should I dump my breastmilk after finishing antibiotics to prevent thrush in the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some antibiotics are safe for the baby. Ask you doctor if yours is.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You don't. Instead, you administer probiotics.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Call your pharmacist they can tell you if you have to dump or not. I don't think you should have to, but call first.
    cdnmom24

Answer by cdnmom24 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Dumping milk to prevent thrush is pointless. The person at risk for getting thrush is YOU and if you get it, baby will too. You need to keep nursing and put both yourself and baby on probiotics.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I second gdiamante, , probiotics. BTW, baby isn't the only one who can get thrush, you can too, and then you can pass it to him. So probiotics for you too.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• you don't need to pump and dump to prevent thrush, it may not even happen anyways and formula can cause thrush too, you should nurse and give baby probiotics that can be bought at most drug stores over the counter.

Pump and dump leads to ruined supply and baby preferring bottle
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• never!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Unless the antibiotic is not safe to take while nursing, there is no need to pump and dump. If you're on antibiotics, you are at an increased risk of yeast and other fungal infections. If baby is nursing, there will be a similar effect on the baby. Taking probiotics in between antibiotic doses will help to colonize the good bacteria while still allowing the antibiotics to kill off what you're taking them for. Both you and baby should be taking probiotics.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 1:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I just took amoxicillin for bronchitis. I was breastfeeding my 3-month old and did not dump at all. I just kept nursing him. He never got thrush. Ask your doctor if the antibiotic you took would be safe for the baby. You may not even need to worry about it.
    MommyGenius

Answer by MommyGenius at 9:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• How old is your baby? I recommend you eat yogurt , they also sell granola that has probiotics in it. Probiotics will lessen the chances of thrush and yeast.
    marie85

Answer by marie85 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2011