Breastfeeding Question from soon-to-be first time Mom

Okay ladies....I am clueless as I have never been a mom before and have no nieces/nephews. I plan to breastfeed little BabyBland. So will I still need to get a breastpump?

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 8:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• you dont need one, unless you plan to go back to work while you're still breastfeeding. pumps can also be useful when your baby isn't hungry but you're leaking or engorged and need relief. i didn't breastfeed for very long so im not much help with this topic - but i did have a pump that i didnt use very often.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Do you plan on being home for the most part? I bought one, don't know why, I never went anywhere. lol I stupidly bought one of those really expensive ones too, but it never worked for me. I could never express enough milk and it took forever to even get 1 ounce.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• For me, I found the pump useless. I could never get more than an ounce. It could be different for you though.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It was nice to have. There was a time while this one was littler that I needed to pump in the middle of the night every night because I produced too much. Plus, then you can save some for if you want to go on a date or go out with the girls on occasion.
    I have a big medela dual pump (electric) and two little medela manual pumps. I really like the manual ones, and they are only $35. You could get one of those if you are concerned you may not use it enough to justify the big one.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• the PP are right. With a pump, no matter how much baby nurses, and once you are regulated, a pump will only get out about an ounce. That is normal for a pump.

Unless you are planning on going back to work or want to leave baby with others periodically, you don't need one. But, if you ever want to go out with DH or get a sitter, you will need to have some milk stored. In that case, I would get a manual pump since you won't use it as often.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Not necessarily. If you are home for the most part, no. If you plan to go back to work maybe. Avent makes a nice manual pump which is relatively inexpensive and gets more milk than a hospital grade electric. Even if you and hubby want to go out for a couple of hours a baby sitter can formula supplement. It just depends on your personal preferences.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Okay, so I'm in the group that went back to work, BUT I'm also in the group who had a large baby (over 9and a half pounds). Even before I went back to work I pumped. I had a medella dual pump. At first I was only getting one or two ounces, but by the end, I'd be getting 7 ounces easily. My son would eat ALLL the time, after a while, he woke up a little bit less at night (for a while it was almost every hour). Then I'd wake up full of milk, and HAVE to pump. That's when I would get my 7 oz.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 8:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• id get a cheap one if your going to be home a lot.. i needed to pump inbetween feedings to help make more milk.. and it was nice when ds's stayed with fam i could still pump every hour... GL and congrats!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 11:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I breastfed and worked with my first two and plan on with this one. The only thing I could see you wanting a big breast pump for (if you are not working) is if you have a hard time getting baby to latch on. My sister in law wanted to breastfeed but she was not real comfortable with it so she just pumps. Like some have said prior you can buy a manual and if you find that you use it more than you have expected you can always buy one later. I have the medela and love it.

Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• As a SAHM whose had 6 EBF children let me say I believe you will definitely want a breast pump. Regarding a few of the posts already made, I have a few points to make:

To the person who said that no matter how much baby nurses, once you are regulated you will only pump an ounce: That's totally inaccurate. I regularly pump 4 ounces to store in the freezer. I keep about 6 "backups" there in case we ever want to go out to dinner somewhere without Little Bear. Very recently, I got an AWFUL stomach bug and just could not move. I was too weak to hold myself up, and was very grateful for the frozen milk so that his daddy could feed him.

Also, eventually, you will want to start solids. I started with oatmeal and I use the pump to keep a few unfrozen servings in the fridge for mixing into that.

I use the First Years MiPump and I absolutely LOVE it. I use Lansinoh breastmilk storage bags. And I have 1 bottle.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2011