Religion and Facebook

How do you feel about religious postings on FB?

I have an old High School friend on FB that posts at lot about her church and it's going on's. But there are times after she's had her 'fix' and that's what she calls it, she will post a highly charged proselytizing post asking anyone who wants to know Christ like she does to contact her. At first it wasn't hard to ignore but now the posts are showing up every weekend and more.

How common is this on FB or any social network? Is it proper to use a 'captive audience' for proselytizing? I'm not asking if it's right or wrong for her to do so or what I should or should not do about it. I have no intentions of removing her as a friend. I just want to know how others feel about religious posts on social networks like Facebook.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 8:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't mind it, as long as the message is positive. I don't like seeing negative, fear based messages, but really do enjoy seeing inspirational, thoughtful, positive messages. I post quotes every now and then, about God and love, or the importance of being compassionate, but I don't often post a lot that goes into deep detail, just because I know the way I believe isn't as common where I live and I don't want to get into any sort of facebook drama for posting my opinion. I'm not all into facebook drama, lol. I wouldn't like for someone to proselytize, though, to feel pushed like that. I'm pretty good at just skipping over and ignoring the posts I don't agree with, though, when they actually do come up.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It doesnt bother me and I think its pretty common. Your FB page is usually made up of things that interest you and friends with similar interests. I will post prayer requests and sometimes have things personal to me (not just religious, political etc). I see it on other peoples FB pages too. I think its all about being tolerant.

Answer by gemgem at 8:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have some family members that post church stuff on fb all the time. most of their posts are about their church and bible passages, etc. It is very common for someone that is very close to God that way to post things on fb and even to ask other people to join her. It is a networking site, like any other.
    It it tires you so much, you don't have to unfriend her, but you can remove her posts from your Home page.

Go to the posting, click on the X on the upper right corner and eitehr click on "Hide this post" or "Hide "
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's pretty common among my family and friends from back home in the Bible Belt. I just ignore it. What is irritating is when I post about something that's special to me and I get put down for it.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I use the "mark as spam" option for those. Because that's what it is - unwanted spam clogging up my news feed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The same things go on on my page.... I've deleted some for "preaching" then turning around and condemning someone for doing something that I know they do or did.... I understand what your saying...and yea it's pretty normal for facebook.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It doesn't bother me. I post about my church (though not to this extent). I also post about when I've gone out with friends, or when I've had an exceptionally bad or good day, etc. Most of my friends do the same thing - and we have very varied religious views - lol, my friends range from Christians (including some Pastor's wives) to atheists to Buddist to Pagan....

I figure, it's a social networking site where people share about their lives, their faith is a part of their life, so...

If it does bother you though, something you could do if you see a pattern to her posts is block her and then go back every so often to her page and read her updates there - that way, you can sort of "skip" the days that you know she's going to be posting this. I did this with a relative who kept posting all sorts of crazy political stuff...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have a friend who is very involved in her church. She also used to work in outreach. There are times when she posts very Christian and "praise the lord" things. She does not prostelatize, though. I read them and say, good for her that she is so happy in her life. And then I move on. I'm sure she does the same for me if I post a lot about my synagogue, and doings there.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• She's fishing for people :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i have a few friends who post verses all the time! usually aimed at someone she thinks has done the opposite of what the verse says. i don't mind too much. it's her opinion!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 8:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011