Too early for preschool?

My daughter will be 3 in March. She has some behavioral issues due to exposure to drugs. She can't seem to stick with one activity. We had her assessed by a local Help Me Grow and they said cognitively she's right on target. She's bright, funny, joyful, but has some issues with not recognizing or comprehending danger. She qualifies for services based on behavioral/social issues and that might get her into our local special needs preschool. On one hand I think she'd really benefit from the activities, the other children, and getting a jump start on her education. On the other hand, I'm terrified about putting her on the bus at 3. Should I wait, should I consider it? Anyone else go through a situation like this? Do you think she's too young for preschool?

mommytoadam

Asked by mommytoadam at 11:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • my oldest son was three when he started preschool. and he rode the bus. they had carseats on bus for every child. he loved it. but if you are not comfrotable with that, then drive her to school until you are. i know you may be feeling anxious or nervous about her starting school but she will love it. just don't let her see how you feel, she will pick up on it. and once she starts you will be loving your free time. hope this helps. good luck
    kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 12:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I put my son in preschool when he was 3. i took every morning i didnt let him ride the bus. and it was only about 3hours a day 3 days a week. He loved going it gave him a chance to play with other children and to learn. I bet she would love going. get more information on how long the days are and how many days a week. find a way to take her if you can id be scared of putting my 3 year old a bus to. I didnt let my son ride the bus till this year and he is in first grade.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I was worried about putting my 3 year old in Preschool and my doc said this "Put her in, it is preschool not Kindergarten so if she does not excel it is not a big deal to pull her out". That made me feel better so I put her in at 3 and she did great. Good luck!
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008