SAHM how long do you plan to be staying home???

Sadly I am seeing my kids grow up and we had talked about me stying home til our youngest is in school ful time....although we are trying for another one I started to think about what if that doesnt happen? that would put me going back to work in about 3 years and I dont know if I would want to go back to the social work stuff I was doing before but would I want what?!?!?! I dont KNOW!!!!!!

Sadly I am stressed about this and kinda want to stay home for the kids! I think they might need up even though they are in school all day....there is a lot that goes on!!! Maybe I could find a paid job through the dchool?!?!?!!

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 8:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Well you could always find a part-time job or a job with flexible hours and work when the kids are in school... that way you can still be there before and after school. I would also check and see if there are any jobs at school available as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• DH and I talked about this the other day. Our youngest is 3, and I had planned on returning to work after he was in school full-time. I don't have to work, it was something that I thought I wanted to do for me. Dh said that we have time to think about it, but maybe I could volunteer or something while the kids were in school rather than actually getting a job. I like being home for the older kids when they get out of school, volunteering is sounding like a good option.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have been a SAHM basically since I became a mom 22 yrs ago. I have worked intermittently when we needed money or when I was a single mom but never really worked consistently. I dont really plan to go back to work either. I might volunteer so I can control the hours I choose to "work". I think you should do what feels right for you. If it doesnt feel right and you can afford to stay home then do that. Just because the kids are in school doesnt mean you wont have plenty to do at home.

Answer by gemgem at 8:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• until my youngest starts kindergarten.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Right now, my son is in Kindergarten and I am a substitute teacher. It works out great for my family.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I've been home 38 years, and I don't intend to go back to work. My children loved that I was here when they got home from school, and now they love that I'm here to help with the grandchildren. Plus, there is always plenty to do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I've been a SAHM for 14 yrs, and plan to until our youngest graduates and he's only 7. I'm the only one here 24/7, my Hubby is gone a month at a time with his job so we decided that's what's best for our boys. I love that I don't have to worry what I would do if they got sick at school, etc.
    It's up to you, if you need the income, then work, if you can afford to stay home then it's an easy choice.
    I too wanted to try to do something part time at their school, but the economy the way it is they can't afford to hire any extra help.. So I volunteer in the classrooms when they need me.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I am a lifer lol. I will be at home as long as my kids are. Its not like I sit on my backside all day. I cook and clean and look after my family and run my home. When my youngests have moved out and started on their own lives I might look at going back to work. Until then my family needs me. I have pre teens and I wouldn't want to not be here when they get home from school. I can imagine the trouble they could get into. Plus I just can't imagine not being here to greet my kids, talk about their day, supervise homework and things of that nature.
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 9:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This is something we talked about too. (Hubby and I) Our plan was for me to continue to stay at home, or volunteer at the school. I didn't want to get a job to just call off because one of our kids got sick. We thought about all the days they have off while school is in session etc. It just wouldn't work for us. I want to be home when the kids get home.

Doesn't matter now anyway now. One of our kids will still attend a private school, and two will be home schooled.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If I had it my way I'd be like Nannyb. But I will go back in September when our daughter is 3 when she starts preschool. Hopefully I will only have to work part time.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2011