2 year old waking up scared every single night and won't go back to bed. Normal?

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be night terrors. Very common. 2 of my 3 kids had it. Its horrible. I can't really remember how long it lasted.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't think so. I would suspect that something is happening in his room or before bedtime that is triggering his fear. There was one time when one of the grandchildren had trouble sleeping at our house, and upon investigation, we learned that there was a toy in the room that when the nightlight reflected on its eyes, it was scarey to the child. So I threw that toy away, and the problem went away.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Out of three children, two of my kids have night terrors. My youngest son which is 4 still has them just not as often which started out almost every night and my 11 year old who very rarely has them anymore but occasionally does. With my youngest they started when he was about two and well hes now four and they still continue. His are always about spiders and snakes...The only thing I knew to do was comfort him and allow him in my bed which made them not as bad. However some nights they would be so bad we couldnt wake him up but yet it would get so bad he would wake himself up screaming and would have already peed on himself.
    taking03

Answer by taking03 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Could be something external, if you live in town, maybe someone driving by wakes the child up. My son went through a short phase (about 6mos) where he woke up screaming at around 2 am every morning. We later determined it was the television in the living-room, when a new show came on and there was more noise. We didn't know this, but to solve the problem, we put a television in his room (I know, horrible, but it worked!) The TV was on a different channel than we often leave the one in our living-room on, and didn't make the same sound changes, so he didn't wake up. Sometimes he sleeps with it off now, but more often than not it's got Hercules playing in the VCR.

Please don't give me grief about leaving the tv on. We live in town in a 4 apartment house. There is constant noise everywhere, and if we didn't have the television on, we'd never sleep.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I tried to have my daughter draw a picture of the people in the dream then changing the ending. That has worked remarkably well to getting towards a full night of sleep for both of us!
    katrinakibben

Answer by katrinakibben at 9:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• spray bottle water -i added color Get a spray bottle. In private, fill the bottle with water. 2.2 Tell your child you were able to get special potion monster spray to keep the room safe. (It's more believable if they have not seen the bottle before and if the adult handles it at night when needed.) Be prepared to tell a story about how it works, how you know it has helped other children, or where you got the special potion from. Be creative! 3.3 Then when it's time for bed, have them watch you spray. You'll need to spray (or act like it) under the bed, in the closet, behind things, over the bed, in the hamper....anywhere that they direct you. THEN, watch the magic happen. Most people I have told this to have had instant success

FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I've heard of the spray bottle idea too and I like it. Or... My son was having problems sleeping for awhil
    CadensMama117

Answer by CadensMama117 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I've heard of the spray bottle idea too and I like it. Or... My son was having problems sleeping for awhile and I rearranged his room and he started sleeping better. Could just be the lack of the flow or something. And I don't study,however a friend suggested that I don't have my childs feet facing the door. Apparently in ancient Chinese cultures they would lay there dead with their feet facing the door which let the spirits in. And it's said that it curse the living. I don't know much about it but my son has been sleeping better since I moved his bed.
    CadensMama117

Answer by CadensMama117 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My daughter was having that problem. We put a night light in her room and she's been doing good so far.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Both my girls went through phases like that. I just had them come in bed with me or we would go in the living room and cuddle until I had to get up. Luckily it only lasted a couple of weeks.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2011