9am, and she's already having a tantrum! Should I take her to the story hour at the library?

To be honest, I don't want to go now. She's put me in a foul mood with her tantrum. It all started over her wanted to eat the pancake batter! Both my SO and I are in crappy moods. Story time starts in an hour and I don't want to go now, for fear that she'll have a public tantrum over something trivial and will embarrass me. I feel like a bad mother when she has public tantrums.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell her you're not going because she is not behaving. Maybe next time, you can remind her that story time is coming & that she needs to be a good girl if she wants to go.

I would take her & if she had a tantrum, i would walk out & leave immediately. That is the best way to teach your child that tantrums don't deserve rewards.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• shes probably picking up on you and hubbys stress... i would go because it's not about you it her to socialize and enjoy being out. not all kids sit and listen to the story most walk around and enjoy more to socialize or explore.. get out fresh air will do you all some good and then maybe she'll take a nap
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You can do what you want about going to the library. But you need to look at the big picture and see what is happening with your child. Right now, she is controlling you with her behavior. It should be the other way around. And unless you get a handle on this now, you are going to be a very miserable woman. It's not just a phase that she is going to outgrow. As she gets older, the stakes will become higher. You need to figure out a way to make her respect your authority enough so that when you say "no" to something, she knows that the tantrum will be to her harm and not to her benefit. At the same time, she will know that when you tell her to do something, she had best do it or she will be the one who suffers the consequences of her own disobedience. Right now, you are the one who is paying and she could care less. We spanked our children for such behavior, and we did not have tantrums in the library or anywhere else.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i personally would go, she might enjoy it and do a total 180 in the library. my kids love story time, they're so engaged they just sit and listen.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree, I would go! It might cheer her up, and then that will probably make you and SO in a better mood as well.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I just asked her if she wanted to go, and she said no. Should I take her anyway? She's watching Mickey Mouse.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If she said she doesn't want to go I wouldn't take her. If she wanted to go, Samurai Chica has some great advice, that works really well on my 3yo.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• getting out of the house can drastically change both your moods! She'll be distracted and can play and lsiten to a story, you can sit back and have some adult time!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• when one of my toddlers has a tantrum I typically just ask (point) to their room and ask them to 'take some space' Now granted all they understand is that I will not tolerate it but that if they need to have a fit they can do it in their room. It is so precious to see a little 2 yr old walk to her room..she is out in about 20 seconds with some toy or asking for a hug...as for public tantrums? whatever you are doing it is over and you pick up the tantrum and leave....natural consequence:you can't handle yourself,you leave....
    Rowen121

Answer by Rowen121 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• if she already had a tantrum and says she doesn't want to go then definitely NOT
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2011