Anyone bought a new/used car lately?

We are on the market for a used suv and we finally found one. We sat down with the guy to start crunching numbers to see if he could come down off the price a little due to a few flaws that we found. He had this list with prices for the vehicle-taxes, titles, stuff like that. What concerns me is there is $230 charge for some kind of anti-fraud or terrorists screening thing. Why the hell should I have to pay that? Anyone know anything about it?

Just to add, we are paying cash along with trading in another car. I found some stuff about it online but nothing that said we have to pay for it. I'm aggravated!

Mrs.Ingle

Asked by Mrs.Ingle at 9:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I went through a broker last May when I got a new car. The experience was so much more pleasant than going to a dealership.

I would just ask about that charge. I don't remember anything like that, but I believe that even though car buying is relatively the same in each state, there are differences as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I just bought a new SUV last September, we weren't charged any fee for anti-terrorism. I know that there are requirements for verifying identity; are you paying cash for the vehicle? We financed, so they could verify our identity, maybe that's why we didn't get the charge? $230 seems ridiculous, to run a credit report/background check only costs a few dollars.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I do not. However, if you use or can use a credit union, they will do all the negotiating for you and tell you where and when to pick up the vehicle. Tell them you won't pay it, and be prepared to walk out. Then walk out if you have to, cars are available everywhere everyday, and just wait for the salesman to call you at home with the charge removed. They will call you to come back. GL

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no
    starzine

Answer by starzine at 9:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Bought a used car a year ago and did not have to pay this fee; paid cash for it so maybe that's why?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I leased my car last year and I didn't see this type of charge in the lease. You try googling it?
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If you are military contact USAA
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Bought a certified Honda a few months ago, and they tried to get me to pay the $60 documentation fee on top of the car price. I told them it was THEIR cost to do business, not mine, and if every single store started to charge an extra fee for clients to do business with them, clients would stop coming...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have heard of that, but nothing I've had to pay for! I just bought a 2009 Scion Xb 2 weeks ago and they mentioned that, but it wasn't anything we paid for. Very odd!
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• sounds like a con (if it looks, walks & sounds like a duck--it probably is a duck).
    ThankfullyProud

Answer by ThankfullyProud at 5:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011