I deas for dinner, please

Ok, I'm a working mom. I work full time and don't get to pickup my daughter from daycare until 5 pm. She is usually hungry for dinner around 5:30. I don't usually eat dinner. For a while she was happy to eat oven baked chicken nuggets, or mac and cheese, or, sometimes, chef boyardi spaghetti.
I want her to eat a bit better, she's growing up well, she's a very smart baby, and I would love to be able to give her more nutritious meals.
The problem is that I don't really have a lot of time to prepare said meals. I pick her up from daycare at 5, get home about 5:10, she want to eat between 5:30 and 6. I don't have a lot of time to prepare stuff the night before either, since she demands a lot of attention and I go to bed about 1 hour after she does.
Any ideas for nutritious, quick, dinners?

Dalimonster

Asked by Dalimonster at 9:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• scrambled eggs and toast, sandwiches and fruit, grilled cheese and tomato soup, salads, Invest in a small crock pot and throw meats in it, and then when you get home you can cook a veggie and perhaps some rice or a baked potato......
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Crock pot meals are a God-send for the working mom - I'm putting a pork roast into mine this morning. There are tons of crock pot ideas out there. Another quick meal for my family is tilapia, couscous and steamed veggies. I just cook the fish on the stove top with a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper, and an herb (often dill) - the fish literally takes less than about 5 minutes to cook and if you cover it, you don't need to worry about flipping. Couscous is instant and veggies are just heated in the microwave - dinner done in less than 15. Any lean, thin protein will cook this way and pairing with a quick cooking starch and steamed or roasted veggies can get a nutritious meal on the table in no time. Your daughter is also old enough to start helping with dinner prep - that'll make sure she's more interested in trying new stuff, too.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• How could my 2 year old daughter help with dinner prep? That would be very nice.
    Dalimonster

Comment by Dalimonster (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No good suggestions on foods, but I agree with the comment about your daughter helping with dinner prep. My son will be 2 in March. This morning he wanted to cook spaghetti noodles. I let him get the noodles out of the jar. While the water was getting hot, he handed me the noodles, one by one, which I proceded to break in half 1 by 1. He LOVED it. We also let him add the spices (with help), and we give him chopped vegetables, and tell him to put them in the pot we plan to cook with. Is he really helping, well, maybe not, but he's enjoying it, I'm able to cook, and he's learning about cooking. win win win
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 9:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This is great. My daughter has been "helping" get breakfast ready in the morning. I never even considered having her "help" with dinner. I think I might try this with pasta and sauce tonite. :-)
    Dalimonster

Comment by Dalimonster (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• making meals on the weekend and freezing them for the week might help. cheesy chicken n broccoli rice casserole is a good one. and crock pots are awesome! make sure you always have fruit cups, milk, cereal, eggs, and oatmeal on hand. All very healthy and very quick to make.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011