Is my 8.5month old SELF WEENING???

Reef is 8.5 months old and has yet to have any 'problems' eating. He was strickly nursed until 5 months when we intoduced some solids. He LOVES he fruits and veggies now, but up until yesterday was still nursing ever couple of hours (even if it was just a quick snack!). That is until yesterday morning.....he just stopped! He WOULD NOT nurse at all yesterday. I pumped all day! Reef even went down for bed with out nursing....which is close to unheard of! He finally nursed in the wee hours of the morning, but I offered him the goods this am....NATTA! Flung his head back in FURY!!!!
WHAT DO I DO? WHY WOULD HE JUST STOP? Is it my fault for 'tapping' his lips when he bit me the night before all this started?? More than anything we want to stay as far from processed formula as possible........any suggestions are much appreciated.

sunshyne6204

Asked by sunshyne6204 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might just have to keep trying gently. if worse comes to worse, feed him the breast milk in a bottle.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son (16 today!) self-weaned at 6 months. He was too busy looking around and lost all interest in nursing. I stopped trying when he bit me so hard that I bruised (thankfully he had no teeth or I might be down a nipple). My life was crazy at that point so I didn't pump.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sounds like a nursing strike. My youngest did that to me several times. The last one had me pumping for several months because I wasn't ready to let go. Take a look on kellymom.com There is some really great info on there in general. There is likely some that will help you out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sounds like it. Nothing you can do about it either. If he doesn't want to nurse he's not going to nurse. Continue to pump if you like and offer it in a sippy cup. It's not a bad thing to self wean. Don't want ot give him formula offer up juice or ask your pediatrician about milk. .
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Babies really don't SELF wean before at the very least a year but closer to two years. Baby is either reacting to the tap, teething or entering a nursing strike. Continue to offer the breast, preferably before baby is super hungry and in a relaxed atmosphere. If baby does chomp down again (which can also be a sign of teething) sternly say no and take baby away from the breast then return baby to feed. If it happens after that again, sternly say no and do not allow baby to nurse for a period of time (a few minutes). Good Luck and rest assured that baby has not self weaned.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• He has cut four teeth, so I am CERTAIN those little guys are bothering him...... He will still drin kwater from his cup (we just introduced an actual sippy cup yesterday in light of this 'strike', knowing he needs fluids accessable at all times and his regular cup won't cut it!) Are there any reasons as to why he may just stop so abruptly???
    sunshyne6204

Comment by sunshyne6204 (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Babies do not self wean that young. Self weaning is something that would naturally occur after the age of two.... or arguably age3. It could be him reacting to the tap. First off, I can tell you from my exeriance, that does not help him stop biting. He just got teeth. He does not understand that he is biting you, or that it hurts. His mouth hurts, and the pressure from biting down on something offers relief.

just keep offering him to nurse.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It may be a nursing strike, but babies don't self wean that early. Don't give him ANY solids until he's nursed. In the first year, solids ALWAYS come AFTER nursing (or bottle). Not ONE bite until he's nursed. He won't starve himself.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would ditch the solids until he starts nursing again. Then I would only give solids after nursing (within 30 minutes).
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2011