Bible Question

Okay so just for s and g's I am re-reading the Bible cover to cover. The last time I did this was in HS so I wanted to see if my perspective was different now that I'm older and more mature. I am using the Parallel Bible, which is 4 different translations presented side by side (hence parallel). What I've discovered is that, if anything, I think the God of the Bible is nothing more than an arrogant prick. Read this passage and tell me how it reads to you.

1Then the Lord said to Moses, " Go back again and make your demand upon Pharaoh; but I have hardend him and his officials, so that i can do more miracles demonstrating my power. 2what stories you can tell your children and grandchildren about the increadible things I am doing in Egypt! tell them what fuuls I makde of the Dgyptians and how I proved to you that I am Jehovah."

Exodus 10:1-2 Living Bible Translation.

Now to me that sounds like some arrogant prick trying to show off. I mean you're GOD, we get it but going out of your way to make sure you get to perfom plagues/miracles is a little much don't you think?

edit: Okay so maybe "prick" is a little strong of a term but I stand by my feelings that God is being an arrogant show-off.

paganmom05

Asked by paganmom05 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• that's YOUR opinion, I find it very offensive that you want to talk about my God that way....I do not go around talking about whatever it is you believe so I expect the same respect in return.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• What josiesmommy00 said! I agree with her 100%!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• That's the point. It's MY opinion. I am trying to see if someone can explain this to me in such a way that I don't see it that way. I fully believe I'm missing something in translation and I really wish I had the time to learn Hebrew so I could read it straight from the Torah.
    paganmom05

Comment by paganmom05 (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't think anyone can change your mind...just like you probably can't change anyone else's mind. But it probably would be considered...well, considerate...if you'd refrained from certain phrasing and namecalling...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have to agree with you paganmom, but I also will say God didn't write the bible and neither did angels or any other supernatural being. It was written by man, every chapter is different, the bible is counterproductive. It says there is more than one God, yet it is a sin to believe in more than one, it says it is a sin to curse and people think it's to speak bad language (which by the way, '.OUR" bad words, aren't bad words where the bible was written. The bible says it's a sin to use divination, yet it is used in countless dreams.... I read the bible also, and I do understand it differently now. The Old Testament was an eye for an eye, The New is love they neighbor. It's confusing. You could have worded it a bit differently but hey that's why you categorized it under debate. :) You knew you would have people take offense to it....
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I always wondered why a supreme being would even need to jealous when I was kid. Some supreme beings in other religious are said to believe that it doesn't matter what names you use--all paths lead to them. I don't personally believe in a creator god at all, so all of this is just fascinating to me, but I don't believe it literally. Some people, especially the Gnostics, believe(d) that Sophia (Wisdom) gave birth to the God of the OT, and he was really a Demiurge and a false, evil, or lower god who made the material world, humans, etc, and thought he was the ONLY true God. Some of them believe that the Christ was meant to spread knowledge (Gnosis) and was sent by Sophia to correct her mistake in birthing this prideful, jealous being. Christ was supposed to be the great liberator or revealer (rather than a judge) in their view. Interesting stuff!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well, he is God, you know... Cant call yourself God and not do whatever you want. lol!
    NYMOM12

Answer by NYMOM12 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no, I don't take offense to her disbelief in the Bible, I take offense to her childish name calling
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Do you ever wonder why, going as far back in "Mythology" that the stories line up with the stories of the bible? You are definitely someone I would love to sit and chat with over coffee on here....if you care to bounce thoughts Paganmom please add me as a friend.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• In my opinion, God performed these miracles not to "Show off", but to show us so we could believe in Him and know anything is possible througfh him as long as we have faith and trust in the Lord. You should consider reading the bible for something other than s and g's .
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011