Why is this written like it's GOOD news? Isn't THIS the problem??

US solar firm to build $300 mln Vietnam plant

A US solar panel maker Wednesday said it will build a $300 million factory in Vietnam, boosting the country's efforts to reinvent itself as a hub for high-tech manufacturing.

Arizona-based First Solar said Vietnamese authorities had approved the investment in Ho Chi Minh City's Cu Chi district, in the south of the country.

The facility will employ around 600 people and production is expected to begin in the second half of next year, a company spokeswoman told AFP.

Vietnam is still a rural-based society that has relied on natural resources and unskilled labour to achieve growth. But the country's communist leaders now speak of moving to a more technologically advanced system of production.

"You're seeing more and more high-tech firms come into Vietnam," outgoing United States ambassador Michael Michalak said at his farewell press conference this month. He cited First Solar's plans as an example.

In October the US-based chip maker Intel opened a billion-dollar plant in Ho Chi Minh City.

All this only ONE day after PBO stated:
"We’ll invest in … clean energy technology – an investment that will strengthen our security, protect our planet, and create countless new jobs for our people."

Looks like the clean energy industry has other plans.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL Just like it was supposed to sound like good news when we built battery plant in S Korea and when GM built a new plant in China How is it good when more GM cars were sold in China than in N America ?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I wonder how much of that money is taxpayer dollars.....

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• JUST a nurse?

WOW! Ms. Yes, I DO have it ALL figured out...I certainly hope, should there ever come a time in your perfect life that you, your husband, or your child ever have to stay in a hospital, or you're ever in a position to need CPR or some life saving technique that you have it all figured out how you'll care for yourself or wipe your own arse. I mean after all I'm sure you wouldn't want to be humbled into asking JUST a nurse to do those things for you.

AlliPerry

Answer by AlliPerry at 3:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• IMO, this is our new reality. Yes, we need alternative energy sources so the panels are a good idea, but manufacturing is not coming back to the US, and if it did,  would want to pay the workers on par of what they could pay foreign workers. Why would any CO come back if their profits would shrink? What would the CT have to be? In many countries there is no CT.

The primary goal of business is to make money- a distant thought is social justice and human relations.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• MBG- Apparently it's been a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time since you have been in the workforce or earned a paycheck. Most large, US have a "social" justice sector to their business. And You call yourself a Christian, that thought is definitely a LOL- Come back when YOU actually have some knowledge and experience in the areas in which you wish to engage debate. Your husband's background, knowledge and accomplishments are not yours to own and gloat about-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I am proud of my profession, income and most of all self reliance. I would never want to be one to sit on my dead arse and ride on someone else's successes and coat tails. There's a big difference between the doers and those who talk about doing; one group is taken seriously, the other merely tolerated.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• she has a very good point.

yes, but she may yet be able to conceal it if she can find a big enough hat.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• good news ---no....problem ---yes
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It reads like a regurgitated news release from PR Newswire. Therefore I would expect it to sound positive; it didn't go through any edit.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I must admit, after I deciphered MBG's first post, she has a very good point.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011