How can I keep cats from coming by my house? spraying

Its been years now, even when we didn't have a cat- we don't even let this cat out ever (and we ended up with it months now catsitting instead of weeks- was not my idea).

If I can't keep the neighborhood cats away- maybe theres a way to get the smell out? I smell it when I go outside at times- it seams like the new stairs are even sprayed- If not the stairs then they are going in the mulberry bush-

annoyed

littlejulie

Asked by littlejulie at 10:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• sprinkle some cayenne pepper out around the house that should help keep them away from the house.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Keep a Jack Russel Terrier outside. No cat will come near the house and that dog will be "on duty" 24/7.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I've heard about motion detector lawn sprinklers that will pop on when they sense motion. That would be an easy fix!

Cats will always spray where another cat has sprayed, hoping to claim the territory or keep it for themselves. So make sure you clean the steps really well to try to take away the reason that the cats keep coming back.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Get a BB gun. j/j
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We own a cat and what we have done to keep him away from the door or off the counters is fill a spray bottle with water. We catch him off guard and spray him. It only took 2 or 3 times before he knew better.
    naunny63

Answer by naunny63 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• motion detectors out as the mailman would not like that--well I wouldn't mind a dog but then its not like we can keep him in the front theres no fence there--maybe if a fence- also not gonna use a bbgun I wouldn't and either way, um no (you did make me laugh but no). I DId try hot sauce and pepper-- might have worked a bit. The neighborhood cats are the ones doing this it is outside the house- yet it bugs me that its right at the door!! I am just gonna have to keep up the cleaning and putting peppers-- I do find that Pine sol helps get rid of the smell too
    littlejulie

Comment by littlejulie (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2011