23 month olds speech

Hi, my son is almost 23 months old and still doesn't really say words.. he says a few.. but not many.. he babbles alot! and he amazes me at how much he understands that we are saying!! we started speech therapy 1 time a week and have been doing it about 6 weeks but it doesn't seem to be helping.. how long before you all noticed? He is having his tonsils and adenoids removed next month because they are so large.. maybe that will help? I feel like I am doing something wrong!! I try to play games and stuff with him but he can't sit for very long.. We also do some signs he picked those up really fast! uuuggghhhhhh :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like you are doing everything that you can; at least it doesn't seem like he has a problem with comprehension. He will start talking and then never stop! lol
    abbysmommy429

Answer by abbysmommy429 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• does the speech therapist give you any idea of why delay?
    they should be

does your child point to things he wants?? this is a huge question!
    if he does NOT point to things, can be a sign of more issues
    children point to things before speech, if they do NOT than i would say get referral to see doc who can eval for spectrum

had to teach my daughter to point = she has autism
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It sounds to me like you are doing all the right things! I'm going to guess that you will see a change after his tonsils are removed. Remember, all kids do things at their own pace - the fact that he understands and responds to you, even without actual words, says a lot about his development. Getting him in speech therapy now is fantastic, I bet he will be talking in complete sentences soon. Give yourself a break (and some credit). :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes, he points to things and follows directions extremely well.. he just doesn't say many words.. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son is the same way. He goes to speech once a week and I haven't seen a difference yet. My son is the same age and he only babbles. He can say mama, dada, cup and thats it. I am sure in time it will come. We just have to keep working with them. And the therapy is a great thing for them.
    mommyof2_1989

Answer by mommyof2_1989 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2011