special ed teacher just called me, daughter having terrible day

i had called to say she seemed off today, i think because she has been having cheese sticks last few days, she does not have cows milk-when i took out her speech improved, but not on gfcf diet yet, she does have some dairy but not a lot, excpet last few days only thing she will eat at school is cheese sticks

i think too much dairy (casin fogging her brain)

any moms know how to start the GFCF diet? where do i start, i think it is time to do the whole diffficult diet

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 10:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Health

• Get the book "The Feingold Diet" you can probably get it at the library or a used bookstore. That's the elimination diet I used for my middle son, who was having serious behavior problems. I finally pulled him out of school and homeschooled him (not saying you need to do this!!), then tried this diet when I started seeing a connection in what he ate and his behavior. Dairy is also his problem. He went back to school in the 6th grade, no longer had to be in special ed, and never had another behavior problem. He's now in college, and people who knew him when he was younger can't believe he's the same kid....people who didn't know him then would never know the challenges he had and they were serious......I think some preservatives affect him as well, and try to keep a fairly clean natural kitchen.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Is it helping?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I did gluten free for a while with my aspie dd....I didnt see any change...so I quit.

Google it, it takes some preparation and thinking...but It becomes easier the more you do it.

I am sorry your dd is having a bad day! I know exactly how you feel! EXACTLY!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• this is first time she has had a bad day at school
    i called to say she was "off" and i think too much dairy
    then i get call 15 minutes later that yes, she is having very bad day!!
    first one ever at school for her
    she improved with no cows milk, so i am thinking gfcf - she may do well
    i know most who try get no results, also know it is very much a pain in the butt, but just my gut says she could be one of few who benefit from it
    she does have autism
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i have taken out
    cows milk
    bha
    bht
    tbhq
    artifical sweetners
    red 40
    yellow 5
    blue 1
    any lake dyes
    msg
    cook on cast iron, no alum containers
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• taking red 40 out was HUGE!!!
    she stopped smashing her head into hard surfaces until bruised, her rash went away, eye contact improved, started to wear clothes without screaming (if she does get red 40, i can tell in hours,,she becomes dr jekle mr hyde aND rash behide knees too)

cows milk taken out, after three days, her words wents from come..... please to come, please

but just last few days she will only eat string cheese sticks at school... i am thinking that this is causing her very very bad day
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• just got call from spec ed teacher
    daughter doing better
    i told teacher - i think too much dairy last few days

time to find a doctor who can help with cfgf diet, or can i do this on my own?
    does daughter need urine and/or blood work first at start of diet to see what is high, lacking etc???

ANY HELP!?
    the diet is very intimadating and all the science that goes with, i do not know where to start? do not want to do it wrong, SO MUCH info, what is good to follow, what is snake oil treatment
    autism is so unknown, lots of miss information out there, no rule book, what do i believe ??

HELP!
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• There is a book out there (Amazon.com) The cookbook for the ADHD child. It is on GFCF foods. GL
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2011