What type of small dog do you think is easy maintanance?

avilio54

Asked by avilio54 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pets

• One with short hair and one that does not need regular grooming, but in reality they all need some sort of maintenance like we do!

Answer by older at 10:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I love my chorkie! He's a mommy was a chiuaua, and daddy was a yorkie. I don't take him to a groomer, and I lightly trim his facial hair. His fur is long but not so long that it needs constant grooming. He's adorable, great with the kids, gentle, not nippy or yippy. I is soooo cuddly and sweet! Hardly eats anything at all, and if he does happen to have an accident here and there(he's still learning)it's just a teeny little tootsie roll! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Pugs are pretty low maintenance.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• oooh! I wanted a pug soooo bad, but my husband hates them. I don't know why! lol
    Is it true they get fungall infections in their creases? I have heard that on here a few times. But IDK I have never been that close to a pug.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• What type of maintenance are you talking about? Grooming, exercise requirements, training....?

We just adopted a schnauzer/poodle mix. I don't think he is "pure" schnoodle though, but close enough. He comes home next week! We are so excited =). Check out schnoodles online, they seem to be pretty darn good dogs.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have a shihtzu and I find them low maintenance. But probably because I was raised with them. I keep mine with short hair in the spring and summer so its very manageable. They have great personalities around kids too. They think they are big dogs I think so they also have that protective instinct. We do groom mine every few weeks but not every other week like some owners do. They are also VERY smart and easy to potty train.

Answer by gemgem at 11:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Honestly, I don't think of any small breed as low maintanance. I think they are higher maintance then many of the large breed dogs. That is not to say that are not some woderful small breeds but....
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Hah, none of them! They are like perpetual small babies ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I am not sure how small you want. chihuahua's are very low maintence , beagles are one of the best breeds you can get if you have young children. pugs have nasal problems. shih tzu's need a lot of grooming, u either have to brush them daily or shave them which is also considered maintence. why get one if you don't want long hair and u shave it? lol not sure why the lady thinks large dogs are less maintence. i have worked at grooming shops for years and the large dogs are definetly higher maintence. i have a shih tzu but i keep his hair long. i have dashunds too. they are low maintence but can get back injuries easily so if u have small children, think twice. papillions are a nice breed. i never had one but there coat appears to be hassle free and they are so cute. go to AKC.com and look up breed info and pics and diside what's best for you. Good luck and God Bless
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 4:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• None. If you want easy, maybe go for a pet rock.

Seriously. All animals (and plants, for that matter) NEED you to care for them. The amount of care depends on the INDIVIDUAL. Sure, some breeds are more typically one way or another, but there are no guarantees in life. Well, except death. And taxes. Everything else is pretty much a craps shoot.

I think pugs tend to have an AWESOME personality, but I have met plenty that have major skin issues and/or breathing problems. Papillons seem to be nice, but I haven't met too many. I met a really neat Italian Greyhound (but, I love sighthounds). Many of the Maltese I've met have been quite sweet. If a little taller is ok, the Bedlington Terriers I've met have been super nice and very soft.

I would NEVER get anything from a puppy-miller, pure bred, mutt(pick-a-poo, multi-doodle, etc...) or otherwise. ...train wreck waiting to happen.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011