How to get my 3 year old to eat solid food?

My three year old son refuses to est sold foods i.e rice, meat, vegetables.. He likes all his food to still be mashed and as I hard as I try I can't get him to do it. I've tried everything, but he still refuses to chew. He swallows his food and if he doesn't like it he gags himself and throws up. I know it's nothing medically wrong because he chews and eats other stuff normally so he can do it, he just refuses to and fights me on everything until I just feel like crying.

gutterflower585

Asked by gutterflower585 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Dont fight with him. Give him he food and walk away. If hw wont eat, take it away. Dont offer him anything else until the next meal. I promise you he will eat and chew when he gets hungry enough. It may take a day or so but he will not starve himself. You just cant let this battle of wills go on any longer.
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree with PP. He wont' starve himself. This has been going for to long and you have been giving in to much. Good luck and stand your ground and show m that you are the parent.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This reminds me of my cousin. He would only eat peanut butter sandwiches because he did not like to chew his food. And it also reminds me of my son because if he doesn't like something, he will make himself gag until he throws up. Like the others have said, give him his food. If you sit down to eat with your kids, like we do, ignore him. He will eat when he is hungry.  But just in case, make sure you cook his food well enough where he can still get it down if the tries to swallow it whole. 

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My three year old son is very similar and I am having major challenges just feeding him. He likes crackers and ramen noodle soup. If I creatively give him the ramen soup with veggies, he won't eat it. If I put peanut butter on his crackers- he gives me a weird face. Today I made yam crackers and he said "yuck". He drinks alot of juice and milk but won't eat much. It gets frustrating but I am just going to keep offering food.
    atharpest

Answer by atharpest at 4:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• He may have what is called sensory problems with food. He might not like the textures in his mouth. He might not like swallowing certain foods down his throat. I would talk to his pediatrician about it. And don't let your doctor tell you its nothing, sensory problems are real. My first grandson has many of them. He doesn't like to wear socks. He hates how they feel on his feet. He had to start wearing them this year to school for kindergarden. He puts up with them because he has to for school, but once home they come off so fast! My daughter had to go through many different types of socks too before he found a pair or kind he could put up with on his feet at school.
    He also has texture problems with some materials for shirts and pants. Tags on a shirt bother him. She has to cut off any tag. Pants can not have buttons or snaps or pockets on the seat of the pants.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 5:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Let him feed himself. Usually when children are in control they are more likely to try it on their own.
    lilachievers

Answer by lilachievers at 3:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm thinking it could be a sensory issue where certain textures cause gagging or vomiting. I would talk to his ped about this. My ds has a problem with eating meat, he seems to always be gagging when he eats meat, his ped says it is a sensitive gag reflex.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011