any one taken castor oil to start labor?

i am almost 38 weeks preggers. and need baby to come before the first week of feb. i am loosing my daycare for my son. which is fine. because i am not working as i am on maternity leave. HOWEVER, i need baby to come before i loose it. if i go into labor during a week day i have no one to watch my l/o. i recieved and 30 day extension due to the risk of pre term labor and being on bed rest. well i am no longer at risk for pre term labor. being i am now full term. i cant exactly watch my 3 year old and give birth at the same time. and i REALLY need DH to be in their with me....it is a diff story on the weekends cuz i have family members to help cuz they are off work. but during the week no one is available. they owuld leave work but it could take up to 2 hours or more to get to me. and with my ds i only labored 3 hours before he was born.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Why don't you just get a birth doula.

Adding unnecessary risks to baby and to yourself us harsh.
    ;-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't do it b/c if your body isn't ready your just going to give yourself a bad case of diarrhea. I don't know from personal experiance, but both my sister and friend did it and this is what happend to them.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• my insurance is lousy and wont cover hardly anything. i cant afford a doula. ideally i would go into labor on a friday night. so that my fam could watch the kids and me and baby could be home in time to tend to the kids before monday.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I guess last case scenario,ask your OB to induce you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I did, it was the worst thing I ever did. I was in the bathroom all night with horrible cramps and the worst runs I ever had. My son was not born for another 2 weeks. I do not recommend it at all.
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i know some people are going to say why are you having more kids if you cant watch them. but that is the deal. if i am not working my kids are with me at all times. there is no need to have a sitter. ...i want baby to be safe healthy and happy but i also need ds to be safe and not traumatized by seeing mommy have a baby at home while waiting on someone to get to me....lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• MY first son was actually late. My mother in law gave me caster oil to try to start labor. It didn't work, I had stomach cramps, and it tasted awful, but I didn't go into labor.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You can watch your kids-- I wasn't thinkng that at all.
    Sorry that you feel birth is a negative experience.
    The births I've attended with siblings are nothing but peace and happiness. It's a lovely family experience. Opposite from "trauma."
    (If you feel that you can't have a pleasant birth experience then having a delivery away from home does make more sense though.)

Doulas are covered by some insurances, free through some hospitals, and the doulas themselves are often free/discounted/reduced-rates.
    Something to think about.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• o not at all. having a baby is a wonderful experience. most rewarding thing i have ever accomplished. but my hospital does not allow anyone under the age of 12 in while the birthing process is happening. but little ds is only 3.. i am just nervous is all. i know it will all work out in its own way. i am sure he is coming soon. i just wish i could pin point when. i had a few contractions this morning. and i decided to rest in case i was in labor. so i would be rested up for labor. and they stopped. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i tried all things to start my labor when i was pregnant with youngest. castor oil YUCK! sex, walking nothing worked and i was overdue. the dr induced me because i was miserble give it time momma
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011