How does his sacrafice cleanse our sins?

This is the only thing I am confused on. I know most view his decision as a sacrifice when he was crucified but he was being punished regardless. My question is basically on the fact that I don't get how any kind of sacrifice can clear people. Why was it necessary to go to extremes? If it was to prove who he was or this new way it seems a bit extreme but perhaps I am viewing this wrong? I am the kind of person where I cannot accept things i do not understand so therefor I try to understand it the best I can.

So his blood has cleansed the sins of the people who lived during that time correct? And if we believe in Jesus as the son of God then we are cleansed of our sins? I don't see how he died for his people. I don't see how his death has anything to do with sin. If anyone can be of help clearing this up I would appreciate it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Oh, I agree, I don't believe it was necessary. I think people understood it that way because they were already inclined to think along those lines, given the way sacrifice was at the time. I see it metaphorically, not that his death or blood literally saved us, but that his willingness to see his message through even to the awful end of death inspires us and moves us to grow closer to the God he came to teach us about, that the love he had for God, for us, and for his message, in a way "saves" us from living our lives in darkness, gives us a light to follow, a life anew full of love and meaning that we may not have had before. I know most other Christians dont' agree with this line of thinking and would say I'm not a "true" Christian because I don't believe in a literal atonement, but that's just the way I see it. you can read more about my opinion here, if you like:

http://www.myspace.com/bandgeek521/blog/508411321
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• And by saving us from darkness, I don't mean bringing us Christianity or even belief in God in specific, but giving us a meaningful example of love and compassion to emulate, if that makes sense. I don't believe the point is for everyone to be a Christian, or even to believe in God, but for us all to embrace one another in love, for us to find meaning in our lives through the virtues he called us to emulate, if you get what I mean. Again, though, lol, most other Christians don't agree, and I admit that I tend to be quite unorthodox. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• In that time period in order for a covenant or contract to be binding, blood had to be spilled. Such as when to kings were disputing over land. After a few battles, or not. they come to an agreement on where the boundary lines would be. To seal the covenant they would take two sheep or cows or what ever. Split them in half and pour the blood on each of the boundary. That's just one example. Christ came to give us a new covenant with God. He was the unblemished lamb. It also goes a little farther then that. When Adam and sinned the gates of heaven were closed. No one was able to in. those that died between then Christ's death slept in the arms of Abraham waiting the Messiah. Except Elisha he was so with God that he was taken into heaven on Chariot of fire. Through Christ the gates of heaven was opened and those who were deemed worthy entered. ( his three days with the dead or sleeping)
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• God's convent through Christ was not only for the Jews but for all men. All could be saved. His blood has washed away our sin of being human and obstinate. Which you can see everyday here on this site.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The passover lamb was the shadow of jesus..he was the Passover Lamb..spotless. In the OT, the Jewish Priest had to make a yearly sacrifice with blood to God to atone for the sins of all the Jews. Therefore, Jesus Christ was the final sacrifice and His blood covered all our sins for eternity. Further, as in the OT where only a priest could make the sacrifice, Jesus Christ IS out High Priest. However, while on the cross, He not only died for our sins, but he took on all our sickness, diseases, everything so that we may have life. He even went to Hell for us and while there dragged Satan around in defeat and regained authority for us. It was the most amazing and selfless act. He was with God from the beginning but chose to come down from Heaven for US because He loved us so much. There is a lot that goes into it. My pastor did an excellent teaching on it called The Blood Covenant. Hope that helped :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• What Jesus did was absorb into himself the sins, sicknesses and diseases of the world. It was absolutely necessary this to happen because we could not be free of sin, we would still be in the OT times trying to be free.... but we couldnt do it ourselves... Jesus had to do this for us. Kittyshy touched on Jesus being the passover lamb which is correct.
    His actions cleansed past and present and future sin, sicknesses and disease.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Read the 16th chapter of Leviticus which explains the Day of Atonement. That may then help you understand that since the OT sacrificial rituals had to be repeated annually meant that there was someting temporary about them. They pointed ahead to the time when Christ would come to take away permanently all confessed sin. The sacrifices on the Day of Atonement provided a "covering over" of sin, not a taking away of sin. Jesus changed all that. He was born of a virgin--his blood was pure. He was without sin, therefore he was perfect--no blemishes. Jesus became the Scapegoat, bearing the sins of the world, and his blood removes sin and guilt from all who repent. (Isa 53:6, 11-12; Jn 1:29; Heb 9:26)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You stated that you were looking at things wrong. I am not being offensive at all but you are. First off he was not being punished. His whole purpose was to come to this earth and die for our sins. In the beginning when Adam and Eve sinned. God in his love chose to use the sacrifice of his son who was the perfect sacrifice because he had no sin. So in other words his righteousness was used in exchange for our unrighteousness because he was sinless. God did this because he is a holy God and cannot stand in the presence of sin. He loved man kind so much that he did not want to leave us in the sinful state. If he had we would have been eternally separated from him. I am so glad he did send Jesus!.....I hope this helps you.
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• The punishments that you speak of were prophecies in the OT- Isaiah and Micah. Popzaroo pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Great explanation and bible versus

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• IN OLDER TIME PEOPLE MADE ANIMAL SACRIFICES IN OLD TESTAMENT ISAIIS MADE THE PROFESIS THAT PEOPLE WILL NOT HAVE TO DO MORE SACRIFICES BECAUSE THEY DONT DO IT BY HEART. SO JESUS SON OF AN INMORTAL GOD AND SON OF A MORTAL MOTHER WAS THE ONLY PERSON THAT CAN DIE FOR ALL OF US AND SUFER THE PAIN OF GODS NEW GOSPEL. AFTER RESUCITACION CHRISTIAN RELIGION WILL BE THE GOSPEL RESTAURATION OF ALL TIMES.AND BY THAT SEED THE OLIVE TREE WILL GO TO ALL NATION AND GIVE THE GOOD NEW OF FAITH, BAPTISM,REPENTANCE OF SINS AND PERSEVERANCE FOR ETERNITY.

GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011