Kid telling my 2nd grader about abortion?

Twice now my 8 yr old daughter has come home horrified about people killing unborn babies. Another classmate is telling her this. It is so not age appropriate so I let the teacher know but should I call the other kid's mom? I can be nice about it. Has nothing to do with our view, I wouldn't want anyone telling her about rape or homosexuality at her age either.

123andme

Asked by 123andme at 11:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In school,or out of it? In school,its the teacher's issue.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Wow! If you know the mom I would say something to her, if not, I think I would stick with letting the teacher know. That's absolutely not age-appropriate discussion.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• it depends, how well do you know the other kid's mom? keeping it civil might not matter if they don't know you at all. if they're strangers to you, let the teacher handle it. if not, it wouldn't hurt to let the other mom know what kinds of discussions her kid is having at school. i dont think 8 year olds should even know what an abortion is.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If it is in school,the teacher needs to be aware of it and have a talk with the kids mom.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If it is during school, you let the teacher know, so now it is time to talk to the school counselor because this is inappropriate.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• But put it in writing to the teacher with a carbon copy to the principal. Things like this get pushed aside unless there's a paper trail!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would call both the teacher and mother.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'd be curious to know how an 8 year old even KNOWS about abortion. Call the teacher and let the mom know.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would stick to the school because if this child knows enough about abortion to be telling other kids, she is learning that from her parents, and if you confront them you are likely to be in an abortion rights fight you were not prepared for. $10 says this kids mom has her protesting outside a clinic on Saturdays!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• what did you tell your dd after she told you this stuff? My dd is 9 and in 3rd grade and just starting to learn stuff at school as well. I try to give her accurate age appropriate information. I know they will hear about homosexuality, and someone already said the word rape around my dd..mentioned someone got raped by their neighborhood. Knowing we cant shelter them 100% fromlearning stuff at school Im wondering what you said to your dd about the topic.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2011