How do you explain death to a child without bringing religion into it.

Any suggestions on how to lessen the blow of death to smaller children without making it a religious lesson?

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm athiest I recently told my 4 yo that when you die you go into your dreams forever. He understands when someone dies they do not come back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• When my boys' half-sister died, I explained it by taking them outside and showing them the leaves falling off the tree. I said that everything, including people, are born, grow up, and eventually stop living. That what they are breaks down, goes back into the earth and something new takes its place. Sometimes, that cycle takes a long time, and sometimes, something happens that makes it happen sooner than expected. When they got older, they asked what happens after you die, and I told them honestly that no one knows for sure. That was when I brought in belief systems.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• ~*Science*~... everything that lives must die, the the reason we burry our dead, is that it gives back to the earth? I watch enough forensic files to know that if I was that kind of crazy person, burry them under the rose bushes... Hahaha!!! I use ground banana peels now...

But there is a "Cycle of life"...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's the cycle of life. You live and then you die.
    There isn't religion in death. Those who believe in religion only believe in the after life, heaven/hell, and those types of things. Death itself isn't a religious belief, it's nature.

JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Everything dies. We had goldfish that had passed away so it helped to explain. I said we were putting the person in the ground instead of the toilet and you had to say bye before you do that because they are never coming back. It is like a really long sleep.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'm atheist. Recently our cat died and I explained to my son that his body stopped working the way it was suppose to and that's why he died. He asked what happens after someone dies and I told him that we bury their body in the ground and that we remember them in our hearts forever.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• just explain that people and animals will die and when we die we turn into angels
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 12:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You could just explain how its natural, that life is a process, and that process includes death. And elaborate from there however you feel necessary, whether that means emphasizing that's part of why life is so special, because we can make the most of our time here, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011