how to teach my pup to bark

we have a six month old staffordshire bull terrier ,and she still has newspaper down at night which is no problem and she does her toilet on there .The newspaper is next to the back door . In the day she is allowed around the house but not upstairs . now when she wants the toilet she just goes to the back door and pees or poos on the mat and doesnt indicate to us that she wants to go out . The living room is nowhere near the back door .If I am in the living room and she gets up I will get up and follow her and sometimes she wants the toilet but not always ,sometimes she is just going to get water ,so I cant follow her all the time so how do I train her to let me know b/c she doesnt bark to let us know she wants to go out .

loulou332

Asked by loulou332 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pets

• You might give this a shot - it worked for us. Tie a bell to the doorknob, and every time you take her out, first gently hold her head and make her ring the bell with her nose. Then give her lots of praise and take her out to do her business.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Some dogs don't learn how to tell you they have to go out. We had a dog that was like that. It's a pain in the butt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2008