Are kids closer to their Mom?

Do kids love their mom better?
Do boys love their mom and girls their dad?
Does it depend ???

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it depends but my son does seem more attach to mt then his daddy and my daughter is more attached to daddy even though I have been the sole care taker while hubby was deployed most of their short lives.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• according to Freud children reach a stage around the toddler age where they hate the same sex parent and believe them to be a threat
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• During the pre-oedipal stages ambivalent feelings are expressed in a dyadic relationship between the mother and the child. In the oedipal phase, ambivalence is experienced for the first time within a triangular context which involves the child, the mother and the father. In this stage, both the boy and the girl develop negative feelings of jealousy, hostility and rivalry toward the parent of the same sex, but with different mechanisms for the two sexes. The boy’s attachment to his mother becomes stronger, and he starts developing negative feelings of rivalry and hostility toward the father. The boy wishes to destroy the father so that he can become his mother’s unique love object. On the other hand, the girl starts a love relationship with her father.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The mother is seen by the girl as a competitor for the father’s love and so the girl starts feeling hostility and jealousy towards her. The negative feelings which arise in this phase coexist with love and affection toward the parent of the same sex and result in an ambivalence which is expressed in feelings, behavior and fantasies. The negative feelings are a source of anxiety for the child who is afraid that the parent of the same sex would take revenge on him/her. In order to lessen the anxiety, the child activates the defense mechanism of identification, and identifies with the parent of the same sex. This process leads to the formation of the Super-Ego.
    momofone725

• In a "traditional" family with traditional roles... little girls start out in life attached to "daddy", and as they grow older prefer mom! Same with little boys, they start out wanting mommy than grow to prefer dad! The ages they transition varies from child to child... but these are the basics

MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My 4 year old is very attached to my fiance' (not her dad but has been around since she was 1) but I think she is mostly a mommy's girl
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It greatly depends. There isn't an instinctual bond towards parents. It is a behavior that is brought on by the parent/child relationship, if there even is one. Some children bond with one parent over the other, but it isn't one gender for each. It can differ depending on child, home, and lifestyle.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• my girls are closer to me just because they have an ass for a father...my son though has a different dad and he is close to both of us but I think he might lean more to his dad..there are times in the summer where he wants to go to the hunting shack just the 2 of them and go fishing..he would never ask me to do something just the 2 of us
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 12:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Depends. Our son is close to both of us.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think it depends on the child. I swear my son changes his mind daily about who he is closer to.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011