Age appropriate...

Just saw a question about a 2nd grader telling another 2nd grader what an abortion is. Everyone said its not age appropriate. I agree I wouldnt want my 8 yr old knowing about stuff like this but I was wondering... How do you answer a kids question if they ask something you think they are too young to know? My 8 yr old heard about rape on the way to girl scouts one day. basically another girl said a kid was raped near her house last year...its all over the news and town so obviously kids are hearing this stuff. I dont think the girl telling the story even knew what it was but then the kids are like..what is rape? When kids see crosses and signs about abortions..how are parents supposed to answer those questions? I want my dd to know i will answer her questions and they will hear these words..so how do you answer them?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think it's appropriate to explain to a CHILD what abortion is at a young age, when you haven't even had the "birds and the bees" talk with them. That's just my opinion though. And i'm sure noone has had that talk with there child at age 8, 9, or even 10!!!!!!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't believe in "Age Appropriate" as far as answering questions go. If my three year old wants to know where babies come from, then I'll let him know where babies come from. If my six year old wants to know about death, then I'm going to tell my six year old about death. I believe in giving the most accurate and honest information when a child asks a question. If my kids want to know then I'll tell them. They're going to hear about it one way or another, so I'd rather them hear the truth from me. Especially as they get older and their peers are explainging things that they even might know be fully knowledgable about.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If u feel u need to explain it to her then do it on a level she can understand.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• actually Knicole~ I have had that talk with my 9 yr old dd...on an age appropriate level about the birds and bees. She knows about periods and stuff.

Jazz~ i try to answer my dd's questions in age appropriate terms but I dont know what to say if she asks something that i jsut prefer she didnt know about yet...Kwim? The other question where people were upset that an 8 yr old knew what abortion was got me thinking. If my dd (age 9) asked me what abortion was after seeing all those crosses on the side of the road would I tell her in age appropriate words? I would tend to lean towards yes but thought maybe other people react differently based on the answers they gave...
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Periods and stuff, yeah but i'm talking about sex and condoms and all that other STUFF.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• you would be surprised how many know atleast a general definition of what sex is by 3rd grade...
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• In this house sex ed starts from the time they can identify their body parts. I DON'T think that 8 is too young to learn about abortion, not when there are children having sex or engaging in sex related activities at that age - and I know there are because I wasn't much older than that when I started. My children have already started learning about things like rape & molestation. Of course we don't go in to great detail at age 4 (which is where my oldest is) but we do teach the basics. As for abortion, I think it is something that needs to be explored on a basic level (again, I wouldn't start with pictures at that age) very young. Studies have shown that children who start talking about these things with their parents from a young age have a better body image, and are more comfortable talking with parents at older ages (when it really counts).

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree Sabrina I try to answer in more general terms at first and as she grows she asks more detailed questions..for abortion I may say..Women who for some reason or another who decide they cant have the baby can go to the doctor and they end the pregnancy. Usually it isnt even interesting enough to discuss at school. I wouldnt go into major details and our beliefs until she is older.I would just give her a general answer to appease her curiousity.

knichole~ You will not be able to control what your kids hear at school no matter how involved you are. My dd goes to a private school and hears less than kids at our public schools but they will be exposed to stuff before we as parents are ready!!
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• you're sure of a falsehood, knickole
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I feel like if they are asking, it's time to know.  I can't control anything that my children hear in school, out in public, etc.  So I answer their questions honestly and try not to drag it on so long that they don't understand.  

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011