Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

food stamps

I live with my husband of 5 years and just lost my job 3 months ago. My husband will not and has never contributed to the food or houshold supplies. He only pays morgage and cable. He also buys his own food and hides it. I know he is a horrible man and would love to get a divorce, but i dont have anywhere to go and now im jobless. I always paid the rest. I dont have any income coming in and have been selling everything I own to pay the gas, lights, food etc. I want to leave him but have no place to go with my two kids. Is it possible to get food stamps while we still live together until i can get another job?

Answer Question

Asked by mskaren1972 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Relationships

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • yes, it will go by the household income, something is better than nothing in times of need. goodluck.

    Answer by knicole0708 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • call and apply
    depends on income of household

    have your considered calling an abuse center to speak to professional reguarding the relationship you are "stuck" in
    sounds like maybe a good idea - these professionals may have other resource ideas so you COULD leave him

    God bless and good luck

    Answer by fiatpax at 11:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • wow, if he can pay other bills his income may be over the income limits for foodstamps or other assistance and if this is the case and he is starving you and your kids that is abuse. This is ridiculous. Both me and my so are pretty poor we get foodstamps and health care and we pretty much split the rent and other bills but he takes care of anything else like diapers, toiletries, travel money etc even if it means his last penny because he rather me save some money that I make. What you are explaining is horrible.

    Answer by Crystal8327 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • and for now see if any foodbanks or churches that give out food exist and go get some and hide the food from the greedy man.

    Answer by Crystal8327 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • I agree with fiatpax and crystal. Call an abuse center. Withholding food from children is a crime, Spousal abuse towards you. Are you getting Unemployment? Check it out. All you can do is try. That would at least get food fou you and the kids.

    Answer by Kimimale at 11:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • gl . Wow the audacity of him hiding food from you. I can not phantom the notion of what a jerk he is. You need to get help. Wishing you the best.

    Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • WIC also has more lenient income limits where I live its a difference of several hundred a month and in some offices they do not bother to ask for the man's income, if you have any children 5 and under you can get it. You do get a decent amount of food but not as much as foodstamps. Call as many place as you can

    Answer by Crystal8327 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Yes you can but they will combine both your incomes. If you were divorced and living together it would be different.

    Answer by Mblessesd4x at 12:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • yes you can apply for food stamps but you would need your husbands paystubs and do get on wic

    Answer by alotleft2do at 12:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • he can afford to feed himself but not his family? Wow! What a jackass! Apply for assistance, look at the guidelines for your family size with him as part of it and his income and with him not a part of it and without his income, that will give you an idea. You might even be able to get help to go back to school or something. I would say check all your resources, some resources lead to others and may lead you to a better life but if you do not ask you will not know. Good luck!

    Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 1:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.