i think my 7 month old son is "constipated".... what should i do?

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you need to make sure that he is truly constipated...just b/c a baby pushes hard does not mean he is...if he is pooping and it's little pellets then you can try something....babies can go for a couple days without pooping. that is normal. I wouldn't recommend sticking anything in his rectum...if you get the ok from your doctor, there are glycerin suppositories that can help. Be very careful with the prune juice...or any juice for that matter, that he doesn't get the runs and get dehydrated. good luck :) there is a natural product by Little Tummies and you can get it at Walgreens..they also have a few other things that are natural. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It is normal for a breastfed baby to go more than a week between bowel movements

Answer by rkoloms at 2:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• my son has a lot of problems with constipation, i give him prune juice at least once a day, it helps a lot
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 12:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I use to give my daughter an ounce or two of just warm water and it helped. Also sometimes sitting in the bath tub would make her go.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We use the fleet suppsoitories or prune juice.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• have you tried the gas relief for babies? it worked for my son when he was about that age.
    mommy_929

Answer by mommy_929 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son had the same problem around that age. Diluted prune juice helps and also apple. We used to have to take a cotton bud and GENTLY lubricate it with petroleum jelly and relax his muscles. But very careful you don't insert it to to hurt him. But the juices used to help a lot.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Can you get more specific? What are his symptoms? When was the last time he went? When he does go, what is the stool like? What is his diet?

In any case, do NOT use Karo syrup for babies, as it carries a risk of botulism poisoning, like honey. Depending on the answers to the questions I asked, I can hopefully help you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• make some chamomille tea lite. but not the bags. the fresh (chamomille stew) put in the bottle just the water infusion.
    bussywomen

Answer by bussywomen at 2:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011