How do we get a nine year old to STOP talking like a baby?!

OK, so my stepson is 9 years old and still talks like a baby and acts like he's 2! It doesn't help that his mom talks to him like he's a baby and also treats him that way, but she doesn't see him very often as she lives in a different state. I'm talking like once or twice a year. But he just came back from visiting her over Christmas and won't stop talking like that. He talked to her on the phone last night and every time he talked he was talking like a dang baby again. Before they went to see their mom he was doing better with it.(He has 2 brothers whom she does not treat this way) I mean he hadn't stopped completely but he was doing better. Now it's like he's regressed back to 2 years old! We are getting aggravated and frustrated that he won't talk like a kid. So I was wondering if any of you momma's have any suggestions? Also, when she came to pick them up she was holding him like a baby!(along with talking to him like one and treating him like one)I was like WTH?! He's freaking 9 yrs old for crying out loud! I wish I would've said something but I didn't, cause she is his mom. Plus, I don't like the whole confrontation thing and whatnot. But I think next time I will! This is ridiculous! Please Help?

bcbmami

Asked by bcbmami at 11:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• IGNORE IT!! Do not respond, do not give him what he wants until he talks like a 9 yr old should.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have never heard of such a thing. Good Luck.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You would need to talk to your child like an adult and not a child. repetition language is the key!!
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would tell him that he needs to act more like a 9 year old. The baby talk will not get a response and when you can start talking like your age, we will start listening to you.

He knows how to act. By giving attention when he is acting like a 2 year old, it may be encouraging more of it. Ignore him until he acts more like his age.

It may be that by acting like that with his mom, he gets the attention that he normally doesn't get since he doesn't see her often.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Tell him you will not be acknowledging what he says until he speaks with his normal voice. He may not stop right away, but he'll catch on. What do his teachers say? Does he do it at school or just at home?

Maybe you need to tell him, if he's here, our rules are no baby talk.

He may be going through something. Maybe he doesn't feel nurtured and wants the extra attention, like a baby would get, and his mom does that when he talks like that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Depending on his temperament, laughing at him may work.

It is one thing, angling for attention --it's something else entirely when that bid turns out to be comedy.

You'll know your lad best, though-- if it would crush him to be laughed at (and he wouldn't 'get' the joke), just respond as neutrally as possible with things like 'you need to speak to me normally, I can't understand you through that act.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Tell him that in your house he needs to act like a big boy and tell him you aren't going to answer him until he can ask normally. Then when he does it ignore him until he says it in a normal voice. It may take a bit of time but I think he will get the message eventually. And also show him he can get attention without acting like a baby.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Oh yeah, definitly make a big deal out of it when he talks like an adult. Maybe you could set a goal with him, to work on it, for a prize.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would tell him that I can't understand him when he talks like a baby and you are not going to give him what he asks for until he talks like a 9 year old big boy.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• tell him that as a big boy like him it sounds silly to hear him talk like that.Have a talk with his momma too.she is only making a problem worse.I have seen grown adults talk like this and it makes me sick!sad she thinks no ore of her son than that.Wait until he gets into Jr.High they will chew him up and spit him out.!!He knows if he talks like that with her he gets his way.Bad parenting.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011