After a breast reduction, what problems did you have with breastfeeding?

I had a breast reduction, and I am hoping to breastfeed my little one. I am hoping to plan ahead to try what I can to prepare myself.

mommanye

Asked by mommanye at 11:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If the ducts were severed at all, you might have some production problems.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It depends on if they severed the ducts or not. You MAY have some milk supply issues. That does NOT mean you WILL and is CERTAINLY DOES NOT mean that you can't nurse at all.

My friend had a breast reduction at 18 because of sever back issues. She was able to breastfeed both of her babies for the first 2 weeks or so without any supplementation issues.

After that she would nurse each side for about about 10 minutes and then put formula into an SNS (look one up at Medela Breastfeeding Product's website) so that the breast would still be stimulated for more milk production and the baby would get enough to eat.

There is also donated breastmilk that you can use in the SNS if you do not want to use formula. There are LOTS of breastfeeding groups here on Cafemom that can help you with any questions you have.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD JOB ON MAKING A GREAT DECISION FOR YOUR BABY!!
    Anonymous