Death of Common Sense? Would you support such a Bill in your city?

NYC Lawmaker Proposes Ban On Talking And Walking

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – After targeting distracted drivers, some New York lawmakers want to go after distracted walkers. They are looking to ban them from using iPods, music players and cell phones while walking and crossing the street. 

At E.A.T. restaurant on Madison Avenue they still haven’t gotten over the death of co-worker Jason King, killed last month when a truck hit him as he crossed the street while listening to his iPod. “He was everything to us. He was always laughing, always in a good mood,” co-worker Nunny Sanchez told CBS 2′s Marcia Kramer. “We all miss him dearly like crazy. He was the light of E.A.T. I miss him a lot,” Josephina Medina added. Jason was just 21 and his death and along with other accidents involving people using electronic gadgets while walking is why Brooklyn Sen. Karl Kruger[D] is looking to ban things like cell phones and iPods for pedestrians crossing the street.

“We have people who are literally dying in the street,” Kruger said. Dying, Kruger said, not because they are distracted drivers but because they are distracted walkers. Charles Tabasso, 14, admitted he’s one of them because he listens to his iPod constantly. “I would probably get run over right now if it weren’t for my awesome parents,” Tabasso said. His mom agreed. “As a parent I am definitely in favor of banning these things,” Tullia Tabasso said.

The proposal was triggered by accidents like a woman tripping into a fountain while texting, but not everyone thinks the ban is a good idea, even King’s co-workers. “I mean I, myself, I walk around in the street hearing music because I don’t want to hear nobody around me or nothing,” Medina said. “I think it’s terrible. Come on. We need something to keep our mind occupied while we’re walking to work,” said Luevonia Simmons of Old Bridge, N.J.

Some said they object to the move as an intrusion by government into the everyday lives of people — the nanny state syndrome.

“When people are doing things that are detrimental to their own well being, then government should step in,” Kruger said. The fine for violating the law would be $100, which supporters hope will be enough to stem what they think is a disturbing trend — a slight increase in fatalities.

An Arkansas lawmaker who had proposed as similar bill dropped it Monday. He said he didn’t think it had a chance of passing, but had brought needed attention to the issue

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Seriously...don't they have more important things to do?
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• That's ridiculous. Way too "big brother" for me.You'd think the government has bigger issues to deal with.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• From the article: As a parent I am definitely in favor of banning these things,” Tullia Tabasso said.

I loved this one.... Ummmm How about AS A PARENT, you tell your kid to get their head outta their arse and be responsible for the choices they make!

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I read that. How stupid.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I loved this one.... Ummmm How about AS A PARENT, you tell your kid to get their head outta their arse and be responsible for the choices they make!

As a parent if my kid could not be anymore responsible than that when talking, texting or listening to music, I would take the devise from him, not expect big gov to do it for me.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• As a parent if my kid could not be anymore responsible than that when talking, texting or listening to music, I would take the devise from him, not expect big gov to do it for me.

Yup... But ohhhhhhhhhhh no... SOME are ok with Nanny McGovernment stepping in....

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Damn I think this is high up on the list of dumbest ideas for laws.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Can we all say Nanny state type laws? If I want to walk, talk, drink (not alcohol lol) or fart when I am out and about its my business. I wouldnt support this in my area. Id be vocal about it.

Answer by gemgem at 12:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• So, we're overweight, and we now want to take half the pleasure out of walking.

That's phenomenal. If you've ever seen Wall-e, that's where I see us going. Fat, soft, narcissistic people riding around in hover crafts and incapable of standing up or chewing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Wow, I think it's their own damned fault they were so fucking into their iPod or other device that they can't pay attention to the truck barrelling towards them.

Personally when I work out I listen to my MP3 player but I always keep the volume at a level I can hear things going on around me.... especially if I'm OUTDOORS! DUH!

Maybe I just chalk it up tp the stupidity of those being injured, killed and embarrassed.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011