Can having a fever of 103 while pregnant hurt the baby?

I have the flu, and can't take anything! I'm scared i'm going to fry the baby!

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 12:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You should go to the ER.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• jeez. women really need to take an iq test before they get pregnant. you're not gonna fry your baby. fevers are so common during pregnancy from the suppressed immune system. go take a shower and sleep
    Anonymous

• I called the ER and asked if they thought I should come in. They said that it's normal with flu and they couldn't do anything for me anyways.
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Wow, that was insensetive anon. Guess someone doesn't get a little sarcasm here and there.

Go to the ER. I had a fever and flu with my oldest girl. I was 38 weeks, and I had the fever of 103 for a week. They ended up inducing due to the well being of my child. I'm sure you already have, but take some Tylenol, it breaks fevers.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Oh ok. well best wishes because 103 is a really high fever. Hope you feel better.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• women in labor sometimes get fevers, and its not a cause for concern. as long as you are able to keep it under control and not dehydrated, both of you will be fine. best thing to do is not stress and just focus on getting better. if tylenol, rest and fluids are not bringing it down though, call your ob. otherwise use this illness to snuggle in bed all day in your pajamas :) feel better!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Trust your gut, if you think you need to get some help, get help. I walked into labor and delivery instead of the ER, they monitored my baby, and that's when they made the decision.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Wow. I have children and i have never had a fever of 103 while pregant anon. Did your doctor tell you that was common? maybe you should get a new doctor.
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Also anon, a high fever can make your heart rate go up, which can distress the baby. Maybe that wasn't on your IQ test when you tested for parent hood though.
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• not in my hospital. Everytime I have every went into labor I was sent to ER to check in than sent into labor and delivery. Not every hospital is the same, but your such a smarty pants, i'm sure you knew that already.
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011