sports in 1st grade

My son is in 1st grade and plays basketball. My husband and I think that school/homework and pratice 2 nights a week and CCD on weds. is too much for him and he is overwhelmed. My son wants to play baseball this spring but we don't want him to. Is it fair for us to make this decision for him. On the nights we have practice my son has these meltdowns because when we get home it's time for a bath and strght to bed. My husband and I just think that it's too much for him but we don't want our son to think, "My friends can handle it, why can't I". How can we tell him we think he should take a brk?

abbie0410

Asked by abbie0410 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Will the practice times for baseball be different than the basketball practice times? Is there another league that has practice/games on Saturday morning instead of during the week? I would look at all options first before deciding not to sign him up.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Last year they were during the week:)....thanks for your coment!
    abbie0410

Comment by abbie0410 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• spring break is comin up pretty soon, why not put him in a sports camp during that time..that way he can still play..but it doesnt last as long
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I tell my kids to pick one activity at a time. We used to do Wed evening church too and had to cut it out. We now do Sunday evenings (in addition to Sunday mornings) instead and that leaves their weeknights open for sport activities, but as I said we only do one at a time.

Answer by missanc at 1:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• He only plays on thing at a time and cutting out church is not an option. I guess my question is, how does he know it's too much for him to handle? Sometimes we as parents have to make decisions for them so how do we tell him we think it's too much pressure on him?

abbie0410

Comment by abbie0410 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If he feels overwhelmed and is crying or feeling tired one day, let him sit out the practice those days. It's first grade sports and it should be fun, not stressful. Whether he will be drafted or not is not on the line. Adjust bed time or add in naps where you can if he feels tired. Let him play baseball if he wants to try it.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Baseball usually happens a bit earlier in the day. You may find he does better with the baseball schedule then the basketball.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Honestly, if he's overwhelmed, then he DOES need a break. He probably wants to play because, well, he likes it and his friends will be playing too. But sometimes you need to put your foot down and do what's best for him. I have two kids, a boy and a girl. My daughter really enjoys gymnastics, but I had to make her take a break because she's in girl scouts and plays basketball. So that's THREE nights Mon-Fri that she's already involved. Gymnastics would be another night. I can't handle it and I know that she can't handle it. On top of that my son also plays basketball, I'm just lucky that THIS time they both have practice and games on the same night. When they played before they were on all different nights. I had to put my foot down to gymnastics because #1 it was the most expensive of her activities and #2 it was the furthest drive. She was sad at first, but now she's happy to have extra time at home.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011