What Is the Role of Theology in the Abortion Debate?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/clay-naff/whats-next-coroners-for-m_b_813907.html

Crossposted in P&CE

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It has no role.
    Except within one's own heart when faced with that decision. Otherwise, my neighbors personal belief or faith in a god has zero bearing on my own decisions about abortion....as it should be.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It shouldn't have one except on a personal level........Dont' agree with abortion, don't have one! Case closed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The two are mutually exclusive.
    Sorry to bust your bubble.

Can not believe I am going to engage you BUT- you are not in any position to tell me if I am a Christian or not- I believe compassion for women who were raped, victims of assault and those that would die if they continued with their pregnancy together with not judging those women on a most difficult choice is completely in line with the teaching of the God and Jesus I know and worship- I have no problems saying I am a pro-choice Christian and I know in my heart that I am adhering to my Faith-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This may be the only time I have agreed with Soyousay on *anything*... But I must admit that she's successfully illustrated the role which most christians refuse to play- actually mimicking the teachings of christ, rather than following mainstream societal views of what christianity *should be*.

mustbeFAKE I'll even go as far as to defend her- and so many other who have been attacked who have incredibly strong compassionate, christ like beliefs. Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but you do not get to decide what religion someone is, or is not a part of.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree that theology should only play a role in the individual's decision, but should have no role in the legality of the issue.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It really shouldn't play any role legally (separation of church and state), but what role it plays in personal decisions depends on the religion.

The link below is probably the closest to what I personally believe about abortion as it relates to a religious view. It should be a personal decision, not for the state to decide for us. I am pro-choice politically, and PERSONALLY against abortion for most circumstances. I wouldn't impose my view on others.

"Buddhism teaches us not to impose our views on others and to have compassion for those facing difficult situations. Although some predominantly Buddhist countries, such as Thailand, place legal restrictions on abortion, many Buddhists do not think the state should intervene in matters of conscience."
    Buddhism and Abortion
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I liked this part of the article too.

"In researching this article I found universal consensus among Buddhist ethicists that the best approach to the abortion issue is to educate people about birth control and encourage them to use contraceptives. Beyond that, as Karma Lekshe Tsomo writes,

'In the end, most Buddhists recognize the incongruity that exists between ethical theory and actual practice and, while they do not condone the taking of life, do advocate understanding and compassion toward all living beings, a lovingkindness that is nonjudgmental and respects the right and freedom of human beings to make their own choices."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Is fine in the debate, but not in the making of our laws- we can guide our personal decisions and talk about them through the eyes of theology but we can not base our laws on them-
    Oh, I am Christian and Pro-Choice ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I guess it depends on what breed of Theology we are discussing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• None if you don't believe in God.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011