What Is the Role of Theology in the Abortion Debate?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/clay-naff/whats-next-coroners-for-m_b_813907.html

Crossposted in RD

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• God and a persons relationship with their Deity is a person thing and should never be brought into the legal arena.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 1:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It really shouldn't play any role legally (separation of church and state), but what role it plays in personal decisions depends on the religion.

The link below is probably the closest to what I personally believe about abortion as it relates to a religious view. It should be a personal decision, not for the state to decide for us. I am pro-choice politically, and PERSONALLY against abortion for most circumstances. I wouldn't impose my view on others.

"Buddhism teaches us not to impose our views on others and to have compassion for those facing difficult situations. Although some predominantly Buddhist countries, such as Thailand, place legal restrictions on abortion, many Buddhists do not think the state should intervene in matters of conscience."
    Buddhism and Abortion
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree fully with the priest. Thou shall not murder...there you go! Beyond that we have a fundamental right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and it seems to me that aborting a baby denies the baby of those rights. I guess I wouldn't expect any different considering it's the Huffington Post, but I thought the author was being a bit condescending by writing "anti-choice." I understand the author was trying to make us pro-lifers sound bad, but what kind of picture does "anti-life" paint?. Also, all that complaining about coroner reports for miscarried babies was non-sense..talk about rhetoric! Someone has to stand up for the babies and I will always do so.
    P.S. Separation of Chruch and State is to protect the Chruch from the State..not the other way around ;)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• How about churches, pro-life people, and everyone else mind their own damn business? Church and laws should never go together. Besides, which religion would we base it on? Islam is the fast growing religion right now.

Or better yet, how about the pro-life people have marches for BC, access to free BC, and preventing the pregnancy to begin with. Nope, they would never do that. Then they would have nothing to bitch about. I am pro-choice and I think I will start my own rally now.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• None if you don't believe in God.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Guess it depends on the breed of Theology...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You know what I wish? I wish that an unwanted baby could be transplanted into a woman that wants a baby. Then she could carry it to term. You know, instead of killing a child? That way the bio mother does not have to have the embarassment or whatever her issue is. The mother that wants children can have her wish to deliver a child... (win-win) Of course that's if the mother can carry a child to term... or the baby could be placed in a surrogate.

I think that theology does have a place in abortion.
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 3:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You may find this article interesting,

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011