what to expect out of my daughter's first dental appointment today?

she is 4 and going for the very first time this afternoon.

im just curious what usually goes on at the first dental appointment. im assuming basically just a regular exam and maybe sent home with a toothbrush?

she does have one oral problem - her two front teeth are just one big tooth. is it possible they might do xrays to confirm whether or not her primarys are going to be 2 teeth? would they do xrays on the first visit?

TIA

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My kids first appointments were mostly the dentist looking in their mouths, showing them the instruments, and getting them comfortable with being at the dentist in general. They did get toothbrushes, and stickers :) I don't know if they will do x-rays or not; mine didn't but there weren't any potential issues. Best of luck!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I hope you have a dentist that makes this first check up fun for kids. I think the biggest part of this first visit is to have the child learn to not fear the dentist. My son did not fear the dentist as a child because his first visit was a huge fun deal but us and dentist. They did nothing but peak in his mouth but the experience is what matter.

KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 12:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• yea, it is weird. never heard or seen anything like it before. i dont know why i waited, i just did.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2011