Is a 4 year old too young to sit through The Nutcracker?

I'm trying to come up with some fun "date" things to do with my daughter. The Nutcracker is being performed in December. I think she'd be really fascinated by the ballet dancing, but she is only 4 (her birthday was in October).

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It really depends on the child. My grad daughter was mesmerized by the whole thing at 3. My grandson just can't sit that long period...well, unless it is Monster Trucks. LOL
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My mom took me to theater shows when I was that young. I barely remember them, but I know for a fact that we at least saw The Wizard of Oz ballet and Peter Pan. I'm guessing I sat through them, because she's never talked about me being evil or whiny during them haha.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i think it depends on your kid. there is no way in heck my son at 4 would have sat through it but he was a active little boy wouldnt couldnt sit still for one 30min cartoone lol. so id say use your best judgement on your kid
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Livi? Probably. Izzy? Not in a million years unless there was a lot of duct tape involved. But that's just a guess. How does she do with a movie? If she can handle a movie in the theater then I would say she could handle the ballet.
    Shmop

Answer by Shmop at 1:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would try.
    When I was 4 , my Mom was taking me to all ballet and operettas in the city, it was so natural ( I am from Europe ). I loved the atmosphere, colors..... I am sure Your dauther will remember that and thank you lather in life .
    Enjoi the show !! If not ,you allways can just leave.
    laygla

Answer by laygla at 2:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It all depends on the maturity of your child. But I say go for it, give her a chance. Ballet's amazing, I used to love it when I was little, in fact it's one of my early memories. Good Luck with it. :)
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 3:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Can your child sit through a movie? If so, I think she would do great! My daughter is also 4 and we have taken her to princess on ice, wizard of Oz (the play) and Cinderella (the play), and she did great! She is very high energy and still kept still and enjoyed the shows!
    Anonymous

• Probably but I would go to an early show. Make sure she knows the story ahead of time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My children have gone to the symphony every year and loved it, even as babies. When I had an extremely young one I would get boxed seats to distance us from others to not be a nuisance to others.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• We did this with our kids when they were little. I'd do a matinee.
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 11:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2008