Why do we...

look up old friends from years ago?

boredom?
loneliness?
a sudden urge to see whatever happened to em?
something else?

Edit: Well, I did it. I found em. Caught up with em a little. Some didn't really have anything to say beyond 'hello'. And now it feels sorta anti-climatic and I realize I really don't know these people anymore. I knew a kid they used to be, but now we have nearly nothing in common other than those memories. Its like "There you are!..uhm....What now?" lol

I think it was giving me something to do and my lack of social life right now made me think on what I did have at one time withut really considering the time thats gone by.

It gave me sense of closure for a couple people. I was able to clear the air on two different people. Not that it mattered anymore, I just wanted to clear things up. I had apologize to one person who barely even remembered the incident and the other one was just a miscommunication that could have been cleared up at the time had we been more mature.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 12:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• I would have to say for me it's half loneliness - since I literally have no friends and half curiosity. I have looked up a few on facebook and all there was were "hey how ya doing". I'm a decent person, I 'have just allowed myself to become so completely buried in having a fam that I lost track of who I wanted to be and whom I wanted in my life. Thanks for the question: it really made me think and look at myself :)
    carmen4826

Answer by carmen4826 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I wonder that too! I do feel a sense of closure when I do find people though.
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 12:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think it is loneliness sometimes... and just plain curiousity! I love to see what people are up to ad how their lives turned out. Facebook has drastically made this easier lol
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Some of us are more nostalgic than others. Seeing old faces and connections reminds us of who were are, where we came from, and how we got to where we are now. And some of us may feel we have "unfinished business" from the past too.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Depends on the person.
    Mblessesd4x

Answer by Mblessesd4x at 12:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• maybe at times to remind us why we aren't with that person or to remind us why we are not close to that person anymore. Or at other times for kicking us in the butt to remind us we should not have let that friendship go.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 12:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• OP, regarding your edit...that has happened to me. Without going into detail, I had a person/situation that I actually kind of obsessed over for many years (since I was 17). This person found me online and we caught up on things when I was 29 and it was just a huge, huge relief. Again, without overanalyzing, let's just say that the loose ends were tied up neatly, the air of mystery was whooshed away, and the "what-ifs" were answered with finality.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2011