Denied IHSS / Protective Supervision / Parent provider?

Have you tried to apply for IHSS and or protective supervision for your disabled child to be their parent provider and was denied over the phone without even recieving an inhome assesment? Or if you did receive and inhome assesment were you still denied? If so im interested in 1. if denied over the phone what was the social workers excuse and 2. If denied after inhome assesment what was the reason. Also if you were not denied were you given the least amount of hours possible even though you know your child is severly disabled and needs more hours and protective supervision?

I am asking this question because this is what happend to me. I knew what they were doing was wrong and they were not following regulations. I fought them and won my case. So I am wondering if this has happend to other parents or family members. If this has happend to you and you feel they too did not follow regulations I can help you. For example I was told over the phone my child does not qualify due to his age and it is my responsibilty as his mother. This is against regulation, no child or adult can be denied due to age and cant be denied over the phone, there must be an inhome assesment done. They will give you an excuse over the phone and tell you, you dont qualify then say that you withdrew your app. When in reality they told you that you cant receive services. I live in Ca. and Im just looking to help other parents get the services and help their children deserve.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Can you please stop posting the same question over and over?
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 12:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sorry didnt know i only had to post once.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I can't help you so I bumped. Sorry.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The program requirements can vary from state to state, so I'm not sure that anybody can help you without knowing more about your specific situation. Maybe you could try posting in one of the disability groups? Wish I could be of more help, sorry.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes, I was denied ihss,first I was told I had to wait because my daughter was not old enough,after I waited a year I reapplied and I have been denied again for ihss protective supervision because there is no record of my child being injured as a result of her autism even after my doctor stated that she was severe and needed 34hr supervision.I am in the process of appealing that now.IHSS talks a lot about fraud,when they are the ones guilty of fraud by,their stall tactics and wrongful denial.
    paisleysmum

Answer by paisleysmum at 6:52 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Hi yes i am going though this process and would love some help.

signed up for Ihss in feb. they never sent me the correct paper work for PS. got like 30 hours. i asked for a hearing becasue i wanted PS they asked me to postpone it so they could get appropriated paper work they should have sent me to give to my Dr back in feb.

Now i have all that in and i still feel they will deny me. I sent a list of the things my son has attempted to do that are a danger but i still feel that becasue the dr did not document any tragic event on his paperwork they will deny my son. BTW he is 14 years old
    I was hoping you could contact me ..how can we share info ?
    ~barb
    puppypadladycom

Answer by puppypadladycom at 4:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• puppypadladycom check your page. i sent you a message :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I just received the denial for my son who is 5 and has autism. Sending in for an appeal. Do you know how long the appeal process can take? Also did you have to go through the appeal process yourself? If so can you share your experience, would like to know what to expect.

Thanks,
    Tracy
    tracy_mosca@yahoo.com
    2boys1mommy

Answer by 2boys1mommy at 7:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2011

• I am going through this right now. I quit my job in July 2011 after my autistic daughter fell out a window. I applied for IHSS and 24hr ps in August 2011... It took 5 months of bullshhh until yesterday the social worker calls and says she is denied because she's 3 and i have to care for her anyway. I know that California court order in the dep of social services says that no one person can be denied solely because of age. And I have all documents from regional center, neurologist, psychologist, and OT specialists stating that my Allison needs to be monitored at all times. So I hope I win. I just would like some tips and info on the length of the process and any helpful insights. Please message me! Thank you =]
    AJ_Matthews

Answer by AJ_Matthews at 4:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2011

• I am a professional Non-attorney advocate that specializes in IHSS protective supervision. I help hundreds of individuals in California obtain IHSS and most especially protective supervision. My office # 707 566-7600 GALT ADVOCACY. We have teams of advocates in several regions of California. I am also the mom of 7 natural born and now a grandmother of 7. I also have children with severe special needs. So, I understand. My name is Myra.
    prof-advocate

Answer by prof-advocate at 4:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2014