Is sleeping on my back at 33 weeks okay?

I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night on my back. But then turn right over on my side.

Nan82

Asked by Nan82 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• when i was pregnant with my daughter i slept however i found comfy givin not to many positions were lol
    teenmommytobe16

Answer by teenmommytobe16 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If your body does this naturally then I think its fine. How are you suppose to sleep comfortably if you have doctors telling you your body is wrong!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• they say the left side is the best but i sleep how ever in comfy, witch is usually my back. I'm 33 weeks today.
    heather-bear

Answer by heather-bear at 2:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I always tried to sleep on my left side, but if I did sleep on my back I was propped up with pillows so I wasn't flat.
    rpetullo

Answer by rpetullo at 12:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• The reason you are not supposed to sleep flat on your back is that the weight of the fetus can compress a major vein and cause an unsafe drop in your blood pressure. If you are on it for an extended period of time could interfere with the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and your developing baby. Obviously, if you're doing it in your sleep there's not a whole lot you can do to stop it. It happens all the time and shouldn't have any serious adverse effects on your baby's health.

Maybe you can try to train yourself to sleep on your side or propped up with a few pillows. If you need to, place a pillow between your legs, under your hip, or behind your back to make your sleep position more comfortable. I used a body pillow and found it to be the most comfortable way to sleep - I still use it even though I'm not pregnant, when my back is bothering me.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2011