Good Housekeeping Advice Needed

I was raised by a hoarder which I have been trying to over come my whole life. (And when I say hoarder I mean the kind of household you see on TV such as Clean House or Enough Already) I don't hold on to nearly what my mother has however I have a difficult time keeping my house clean. I was never taught good cleaning habits. I am defiantly an amateur when it comes to the subject. I am a SAHM so I have the time just not the tools. If you have some sort of daily schedule, process, tricks you use please let me know where to start and how to keep it up. I want to be taught. Thanks in advance for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Go to www.flylady.com. The site has wonderful advice for cleaning and organizing the home, and it's done in steps so it's not overwhelming.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• When I was a SAHM mom I did laundry (clothes) on Thursdays, sheets and towels on Mondays, and cleaned the house on Fridays. I dusted, vacuumed, and cleaned the baths. I dry dusted and did not use any polish. I have allergies so I can not use a ton of cleaning products. I mop my kitchen floor with diluted Mr. Clean and used Scrubbing Bubbles for the bathroom. I always keep things picked up and kids toys got picked up every night. Mail gets sorted into recycling and important stuff immediately. Hope some of this info is helpful.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I hav to do laudry everday. The other stuff I have specific days for. I clean my bathrooms on Mon. I wash my sheets on Tues. I do the smaller things, such as vacuuming, dusting , cleaning windows on Wed. I clean my kitchen on Thurs. It is much better to break it up, than to try and do it all at once.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If you grew up with a hoarder, you may have issues with letting things go. (My MIL was a hoarder - it took a while for me to 'retrain' my DH).

There is a TV show, Neat, that does an excellent job of helping people learn to live without clutter, organize and respect your property, and maintain the organization once you achieve it. Here is a link to episodes online. GL

http://www.neattv.com/home.html

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree with scuba, flylady is the way to go.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011