What would you do?

Last year I worked all year long while my Dh sat on his ass..yes it bugged the hell out of me but I managed to pay all the bills. So earlier today he was "deciding" on what to do with the tax refund. He wants to get this done and buy another tv and yada yada.

It seems to me that he has forgotten that I am 5 months pregnant and that we have gotten nothing for our child.

I wanted to spend the entire or mostly the entire refund on the baby.

SO if you were in my position would you go and file your taxes without letting your dh know and then go spend the money how you wanted to or would you share it with your dh that didnt even attempt to work the previous year?

soon2bmmy

Asked by soon2bmmy at 12:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would talk to him about the money to see what he thinks is more important. If he goes toward selfishness the I say you do the same. ha ha ha just my opinion :)
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 12:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would talk to him. Not sure it would be the best way to hide it from him. Tell him that it really bugs you that he sat at home doing nothing most of the year and yall have a baby on the way that NEEDS stuff. Then take it from there!!

Good Luck and hopefully he agrees :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 12:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It belongs to both of you. I would talk to him about the baby's needs and if that doesn't get him to reconsider I would split it 50/50.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If that were my situation, I'd tell my husband that the money goes for the baby first and foremost. If he was adamant about buying other stuff like tv's and whatnot, I'd go open a separate bank account and go do my taxes and have my money deposited in my separate account so I could buy stuff for my baby. Hey, you worked for it!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This is just me, if i would of worked all year & he did nothing then its my money, my earned money but not all couples are like that. Thats how df& i are , i know his refund is going to backpay child support&, im getting about 4000, we go half on the bills and all but he knows w/my refund im buying some sofas & a table because we need it., he has mentioned a tv& looks at them when we go to the store but im not buying that.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would contact a divorce attorney

Answer by rkoloms at 2:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well, you can't really file without him, can you?

Regardless, you just tell him what the money is going to be spent for. You tell him that you're going to continue to act responsibly, and that this is your budget. You describe the priorities for your money and how you are going to accomplish meeting those most pressing priorities, such as buying things for the baby. Remember that you also need to keep a safety net in the bank: you need a few months of living expenses stashed away. This is especially important because you're not going to be working right after you have your baby, and then you'll have continued increased expenses once the baby comes.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011