Casu Marzu - A delicacy found in Sardinia, Italy, this sheep's milk cheese is deliberately infested with Piophila casei, the "cheese fly." The result is a fromage literally jumping with maggots that burns tongues and can leave larvae burrowing in your intestines.
Of the roughly 5,000 types of mushrooms found in America, only 100 or so are said to be toxic -- and only 12 of those are deadly.
Almonds eaten in the U.S. contain relatively low amounts of cyanide.
Heating destroys the poison, but untreated bitter almonds are so dangerous that their sale is illegal in some countries. While cyanide poisoning from almonds is rare, scattered cases and even deaths have been reported involving bitter almonds.
Almonds aren't the only seed -- that's right, seed -- that contains cyanide. The pits of cherries, plums, apricots and peaches also produce low levels of the poison when crushed or chewed. Just something to think about the next time you suck on a cherry pit.
If you've never traveled to Jamaica, chances are you've never even seen an ackee, let alone had the chance to taste one.
Like any delicious fruit, an ackee is best eaten ripe. But unlike most other fruits, waiting for them to ripen is essential because unripe ackees can kill.
People all over the world enjoy a wide variety of seafood, much of it raw. But only in Korea do they eat a certain kind of dangerous raw, or "hoe" in the Korean cuisine vernacular, sea creature.
But rather than poison you, sannakji, a dish made from a live small octopus that has been cut into small pieces, lightly seasoned and served immediately, can grab you by the throat and refuse to let go.
Fugu, or puffer fish, is generally believed to be the second-most poisonous vertebrate in the world.
The thing is, nobody's trying to eat the No. 1 poison prizewinner, the Golden Poison Frog.
Not so with the fugu, a Japanese delicacy steeped in mystique and danger. The fugu's skin, liver and ovaries contain tetrodotoxin, a poison that paralyzes the muscles while the victim stays fully conscious, usually asphyxiating within four to 24 hours.
Oh, and there is no known antidote. So ... bon appetit.
Answer by Izsarejman at 2:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011
Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011
Answer by 405mom at 12:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011
Answer by gemgem at 12:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011
Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011
Answer by SweetLuci at 10:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2011
Check out some of the top posts today in Groups: