anti depressants and pregnancy

is there any medicine you can take when your pregnant

Ashley.herzing

Asked by Ashley.herzing at 12:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my psychiatrist took me off all mine when I told him we were going to start trying. Talk with you psychiatrist and see what they say.
    Anonymous

• All antidepressants have risks if taken during pregnancy. Some are riskier than others. None of them are completely safe. But severe depression is bad for a pregnant woman and her baby as well, so it is a matter of weighing the potential risks and benefits and making an informed choice. Speak with your Ob/Gyn and/or your psychiatrist about it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I take zoloft for depression and anxiety. It's fine to take up until the third trimester.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• The doc would probably highly reccomend Wellbutrin. I, for one am highly against anti depressants when you're pregnant. In my mind, you would not take a brian chemical altering drug with an underdeveloped brain growing inside you. And they do not know the LONG-term affects of it. They say baby will be fine....but what about when baby is 25? There have been no studies done on long-term affects. Its my opinion only.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 1:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I took Prozac for several. It has the most research to show a lack of problems. But it really is a cost/benefit question. Will the woman be able to make it through OK without them? If not, the answer is pretty simple.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 1:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i asked my doc and she said i can take it the whole pregnancy, but the baby will experience withdrawals when born, and i know that if i quit taking it sudenly, the withdrawals are bad with cymbalta. i stopped taking it slowly when i found out i was pregnant but my depression wasnt severe and i've been fine
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• MY DOCTORS TOOK ME OFF THE ANTIDEPRESSANTS AND ANTI ANXIETY MEDS DURING MY 1ST N 2ND TRIMESTER. NOW THEY PRESCRIBED ME ZOLOFT BECAUSE IT SUPPOSED TO BE GREAT DURING PREGNANCY AND YOU CAN CONTINUE IT THROUGH OUT BREASTFEEDING.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have Depression and OCD and when I talked with my psychiatrist that my husband and I were going to start trying. He wanted me on no meds (I was taking Lexapro and Effexor). He says new studies are starting to pop up that they can cause some serious harm. My OB/GYN agreed with him as well. So that is something that you need to discuss with your psychiatrist and your OB/GYN. Good Luck, hope things work out.
    Anonymous